Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Chimney Booster  (Read 3334 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
New Chimney Booster
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
These have just come on the market over here. They look great and by all reports work really well
Check em out
https://shop.heatbeads.com.au/
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Chimney Booster
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
With 4 starter cubes I would expect it would work pretty quick.  I typicall only use 2 for a chimney.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
Fans are an old idea ... what's good about this one is that it's probably safer than others that might blow sparks or chunks of small coal out.

"I typically only use 2 for a chimney."

Me too, until I read here that just one will get 'er dun. I'm usually still prepping meat or some other task anyway while it gets going.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:58:17 PM »
i like that the chimney sits on top of it.

that bbq dragon thing with the clip seems lame. i don't want to clip shit on my grill, and i definitely don't want ash and embers blowing all around.

plus the people marketing the bbq dragon are super spammy

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 02:04:56 PM »
Holy crap!  4 cubes with fan assist?  Fully lite chimney in 15 seconds?  I have never had a problem with only one cube no fan and 15 minutes.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »
I just don't understand all this urge to be "instant" and spend money on devices sure to break down in short order. I use a chimney with three sheets of newspaper, and the newspaper I get from my FIL or from the local "free" paper. It lights in 15 to 20 minutes, so while I am prepping the food or getting other stuff ready. I'd rather spend my money on food.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
I used to use newspaper (hey, it's free!) but there is a constant breeze where I live and was getting ash everywhere. I picked up some lighter cubes and really like them. I've used one or two... not sure how much faster 2 actually gets it going, but one definitely works sufficiently well.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »
Holy crap!  4 cubes with fan assist?  Fully lite chimney in 15 seconds?  I have never had a problem with only one cube no fan and 15 minutes.

Amen.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 02:42:31 AM »
claim is 30 min down to 12, I use charcoal starters, something similar to these, only use 1

And I am always ready in 15 min
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:30:48 AM »
I use this … and it's ready in 14 minutes, 55 seconds ….  ??? ::) :P 8) ;)

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
Yeah, what's the big rush?  Even when I'm forced to use a gasser, getting things hot enough to cook is never the 'rate determining step' (the only concept I remember from high school chemistry).  I'm always in a rush to prep all of my food, even when I need to wait 15 or 20 minutes to start cooking. 
One of the charcoal people.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »
So that's a big negative from the Yanks and Cannucks......
At $60 a pop I'll be giving them a miss too....plus I always use my gas assist on my performer
In saying that I do have a couple of vintage blowers on there way over from the states and am looking forward to seeing how they go
I think these chimney boosters will be great for newbies as getting briquettes/charcoal going seems to be the main drawback for a lot of people in OZ and this method seems pretty foolproof .
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution