Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Holy cow...Pulled beef  (Read 4675 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Holy cow...Pulled beef
« on: March 08, 2015, 07:30:58 PM »
OMG, this tastes so good. 8) Never done a pulled beef until today. 2.5lb chuck roast on the JJ.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:45:49 PM by Nate »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Holy cow...Pulled beef
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »
Nice cook! Love the Jumbo Joe, I need one. I did pulled beef about a month ago and it was awesome. How long did it take?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:47:06 AM »
Yep Nate, you have my attention too. What were the temps?

Gotta try this, now that hamburger is a delicacy around here I can "afford" steak. <I don't get it, either.>
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:24:19 AM »
Nice cook! Love the Jumbo Joe, I need one. I did pulled beef about a month ago and it was awesome. How long did it take?

It took a lot longer than I anticipated, about 6-6.5 hours. I started it at 1:30 in the afternoon. It sat at 160 for quite a while and it was getting late, so I foiled it and kicked up the temp to speed up the cook. Pulled it at 200*. I should have started this earlier in the day but it was a last minute decision to do this.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:27:57 AM »
It's all your fault -- I bought a chunk of chuck roast this morning.

I selected one with less marbling than yours, but (I hope) wisely bypassed the shoulder cuts that cost the same but were leaner. Just over 3.6lbs; they didn't have smaller ones and I'm always too lazy to ask for smaller cuts. Then again, what would they do with 1lb of chuck roast?

I'm not cooking it today but I should treat it like a Boston butt? Maybe a little less on the temp since mine might be a leaner cut of beef and I'd not want to dry it out/overcook.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 06:32:34 AM »
Yep Nate, you have my attention too. What were the temps?

Gotta try this, now that hamburger is a delicacy around here I can "afford" steak. <I don't get it, either.>

Temp was running at about 250* until I decided the cook needed to get done because it was getting late. After the foil wrap, I increased the temp to 290-300* until the IT was 200*.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:52 AM »
Yeah !!!

That's the goods, man...... 8)

Cook it 'till it falls apart....or you get tired of waiting !!!!

GREAT looking cookup !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »
Dare I say that I almost prefer pulled beef over pork.  I usually find a nice fatty roast, cover it in salt/pepper/garlic, and smoke it just like I would a pork shoulder.  I get it into the mid 190's and then start checking for tenderness with a probe.  When it goes in like butter, it comes off.  It always comes out fantastic.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

If you liked the pulled beef with a kick......consider trying the recipe for Pepper Stout Beef sometime.  That blew my mind the first time I made it.
-Keith

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:06:52 AM »
Pulled chuck is the bomb!  You nailed it.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
Dare I say that I almost prefer pulled beef over pork.  I usually find a nice fatty roast, cover it in salt/pepper/garlic, and smoke it just like I would a pork shoulder.  I get it into the mid 190's and then start checking for tenderness with a probe.  When it goes in like butter, it comes off.  It always comes out fantastic.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

If you liked the pulled beef with a kick......consider trying the recipe for Pepper Stout Beef sometime.  That blew my mind the first time I made it.

I think I'm on the same page that pulled beef > pulled pork. And definitely try the PSB!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 08:26:49 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke - I'm no expert having only done pulled beef once, but everything I read prior to my cook was that it's not done until you can stick a fork in it and twirl it like spaghetti, usually about 200-205* or so. Once you get there if you can wrap it in foil and let it sit for an hour or two I don't think you'll have any problems with it drying out. But as @1buckie says - cook it until you are tired of waiting!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »

I think I'm on the same page that pulled beef > pulled pork. And definitely try the PSB!

I really like PP but this PB is fantastic. I might just like it better than PP.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:46 AM »
Holy Cow indeed :)
Awesome looking beef!!

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »
That looks awesome. Thanks for posting this. I really need to do this 

Thanks for the recipe suggestion @OoPEZoO