Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Simple chicken thighs  (Read 4589 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Simple chicken thighs
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
1) Mixture of olive oil, Weber's Chicken 'N Rib seasoning, lime juice, and some Bourbon glaze stuff I somehow LOST right after adding to the mix.
2) Marinate in a plastic bag for a short time.
3) Chimney of lump.
4) Cherry wood chips tossed into that little slot at grate handle, on hot coals
5) 18.5" kettle of Weber manufacture.

Cook mostly indirect, wide-open for about an hour and turn 'em, flip 'em early on and then later not so much. The last 20 mins or so the heat will have died down to warming levels. "A thermometer isn't necessary" OR, I was too lazy to use one.

6) Last 5 mins, apply 1 light coat of BBQ sauce. Shown below, Carolina style (i.e. yellow sauce.)
7) Make neighbor jealous.
8 ) Take pity and share with neighbor.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Simple chicken thighs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
Love the 18" kettles for doing exactly this … Outstanding!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »
Nice cook
Great looking chicken
Thighs are so juicy
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »
My favorite part of the chicken. So forgiving. Over cook them and they are still great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »
looking mighty nice, and I'm a big fan of chicken thighs.  Though I prefer getting the whole leg quarter.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
Dig that glazing, man......extra nice job on that.... 8)

The neighbor SHOULD be jealous !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:06:53 AM »
Chicken looks beauty from here. Good that you share with the neighbour.....it could keep them from calling the cops on you for creating too much smoke in the future. During a cook this year I heard one of my neighbours complaining about smoke as I had a chimney firing. I subsequently took to firing in a different area when the wind was pushing her way AND to taking over treats on a regular basis. Now every so often she will bring over meat for the grills. Happy happy happy!
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:27 AM »
ATS - the color on those thighs is fantastic.  Looks like something out of a high-end cookbook.  Great job.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 06:46:31 AM »
Thanks everyone. Sharing the food is easy ...

Got my neighbor re-interested in Weber charcoal. Just picked up one of their books, too. He ditched his horrible Brinkmann smoker for an 18.5" WSM I located for him on CL and after the first cook immediately understood how proper airflow and temp control worked. He had made some delicious food on the Brinkmann but it took 3 of us tinkering with it the whole time.

Last year he ditched his Char-Griller grill/smoker setup before I could check it out unfortunately (he couldn't get it working reliably) and bought a 2-burner Charbroil Commercial TRU Infrared, the $200 model that was exclusive to Lowe's (and is now gone ...) http://www.charbroil.com/grills/tru-infrared-grills/char-broil-commercial-t-22d-463241014.html For the money that's a very good machine actually, seems to be made well and cooks great (for gas, heh). He's keeping it and rightly so IMO.

But he's had this other charcoal grill, he initially called it a Weber, under a cover. Kept away and not in use. I looked and let him know it wasn't a Weber ... it's got 4 legs ... won't have as good airflow, probably made like crap ...

Last week his wife bought him a new Weber. "She got me the regular size, like yours but without the table ..."

"Does it have a tray for the ash or a catch can?"

"It's got the catch can, a holder for the lid, a bun warmer rack ..."

"Holy crap she bought you a new MasterTouch!" (I was mildly incoherent/babbling for about the next 4 minutes.)

We assembled it the other day but it remained inside during snow. Gonna do a cedar planked spatchcocked chicken on it in a few days.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 07:51:40 AM »
Few things in life are as satisfying as juicy, smokey chicken thighs! Those are beautiful

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
Great looking chicken!!
I keep my neighbors well fed, so they never complain about the smoke  ;D

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 12:29:34 PM »
Those look amazing!  Thumbs up to step 7 and 8!

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 06:17:01 PM »
Nice cook. Great color from the cherry wood.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 11:29:42 PM »
nice looking thighs!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »
From your great description and awesome pics, I can almost taste those!