Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Insanity  (Read 6936 times)

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
Royal Oak Insanity
« on: March 01, 2015, 06:53:15 AM »
I saw a picture about somebody and buying a bunch of Royal Oak lump for 7.00 a bag at Wal-Mart. I told my wife about it and she insisted we go looking for a deal. I'm down to my last bag of Kingsford Blue that I stocked up on in the summer.

I got busy, we never went.

Last night, I came home to this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: Royal Oak Insanity
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
OMG, you're one lucky guy!

Let us know how you like it, compared to the KBB.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:58 AM »
I am pretty stoked...but I have to admit...I have never used this stuff before. Can anybody tell me how it "performs" in relation to how regular Kingsford does? Does it cook as long? Is it hotter/cooler?
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

KsDan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:02:20 AM »
She sounds like a keeper. It took me two days to get my fiance to understand why I wasn't selling my old OTG when I bought another last week.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:04:13 AM »
She is awesome about it, really. Her thought process is that as long as I am cooking, SHE DOES NOT HAVE TO!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:23:25 AM »
I am pretty stoked...but I have to admit...I have never used this stuff before. Can anybody tell me how it "performs" in relation to how regular Kingsford does? Does it cook as long? Is it hotter/cooler?

Doesn't really matter what we have to say....

.....one way or another, you're going to find out, at this point !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 07:24:36 AM »
Lol @1buckie you have a good point!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:37:13 AM »
I saw a picture about somebody and buying a bunch of Royal Oak lump for 7.00 a bag at Wal-Mart. I told my wife about it and she insisted we go looking for a deal. I'm down to my last bag of Kingsford Blue that I stocked up on in the summer.

I got busy, we never went.

Last night, I came home to this

And the growlers are the icing on the cake!  Hold onto that lady!

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »
@clubchapin Yep, she WAS trying to take them to the growler shop to fill them but they were closed/opening late due to snow and ice.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 08:52:52 AM »
I use a lot of RO lump, and like it.  Comes in a blue bag up here, but I'm sure it's the same stuff.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 10:38:36 AM »
I think the fact that we are grabbing the stuff shows what we think of it 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
Keep her! My wife's okay with charcoal stashes, but I don't think she would go out and get it.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
My wife would have come back with 2 bags and the growlers of beer

If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
Congrats on all counts, @aguyindallas   Looks like you are set for life!

To answer your question about briquettes vs. lump, I don't find a huge difference in cooking with one or the other.  Lump runs a bit hotter, but I find that I use about the same volume (in a chimney) for roughly the same cooking time.  So just get to work and see how it works for you. 

The really fine point of lump vs. briquette is that the briqs have more filler, and so they make more ash.  Also, briqs are 'heavier', since they have that binder in them.  So IMO you get more BTUs out of a pound of lump than out of a pound of briqs, which means that pound-for-pound purchase comparisons are misleading (I don't mind paying a little more for lump because I feel like I get more cooking out of the same weight). 

All to say, you are set, my friend!  Congrats.
One of the charcoal people.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »
Thank you @mike.stavlund for the info. Everything I read said its a bit warmer when cooking. I do like the less ash idea for certain.

Hopefully we will thaw out in Dallas and I can get something cooked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk