Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie mod for 22 kettle.  (Read 5579 times)

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Rotisserie mod for 22 kettle.
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
I picked up rotisserie the other day for $5. The plan was to use it on my gasser, but then i saw the small print....does not work on a Weber. So that is another project how to get it to work on my gasser. So now i am thinking well i can use it on my kettle then, maybe i'll go back and get a 2nd one.
I'm just looking for a ring to mod, and seems my choices would be better if i had a 18" grill and not the 22" that i have.
Sure i can get a $20 food grade barrel on CL and cut it, but with what? Plasma cutter that i am going to spend $$$ for a one time use? Or even if i did get it cut then i have to get rid of the barrel.
So far the best options i have saw is;
  • to get a steamer rack ring on ebay for $55, but i think i may need two and might as well just buy the real thing instead of trying to save a buck here. Maybe i can find it cheaper elsewhere.
  • Find a cheap pot and cut it down, though Im not seeing 22"
  • Get some sheet metal and cut it down. This seems to be my option that i am thinking, but looking into it, i see use galvanized steel, then another one says don't use that use aluminum, and then another one says dont use that....what is safe!

Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Rotisserie mod for 22 kettle.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »
Einrej made this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=9453.0

This could work with an old beater kettle...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:36:08 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »

Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

The rod goes into the motor on the left side. The bushing keeps the rod from walking out the right side.
   Questions?
   Thanks,
   E
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »
Right off the back I'm not looking to drill into the kettle. I upgraded but I do have a donor.mmm
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
I went with the food grade barrel method  /// I put bolts up at the top and sit a grate there and smoke using the roti ring

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
 I used cutting wheels to cut the barrel  //// cut off the top rolled edge and used it as a guide to cut the sections//// clamping the cut off piece with c-clamps
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:45:09 PM by TexasOnion »

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
I spread the bottom to fit the outside of the grill and lapped sheet metal over the gap // top will then be out of flat //// turn it upside down on a flat surface and raise it till the sides are even rest it on stacked paper  and  mark it again using paper to lay your marker on  and cut the top again using the rolled edge clamped on as a guide 

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
that sounds confusing  sorry

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »

Interesting Performer you've got there, @TexasOnion .  Would love to see some full pics of your mod....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:49:07 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »
new mod pics coming with minigrillin`s 26`er installed waiting on some very special handles

cnmg432

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
I see there are two systems here.............one the rotisserie is raised with an extension and the other is not?  What are the advantages and disadvantages?  I have an older kettle I would like to set up with a rotisserie, but don't want to buy a new one and would rather do some modifying if need be.  thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »
I see there are two systems here.............one the rotisserie is raised with an extension and the other is not?  What are the advantages and disadvantages?  I have an older kettle I would like to set up with a rotisserie, but don't want to buy a new one and would rather do some modifying if need be.  thanks!

Ernie's (einrej) is different in that it's drilled right thru the side of an older style kettle....

The next example is a slice off of a 55 gallon food grade drum....

There are Weber raised rings, slightly more expensive models from Cajun Bandit that are like #2 & those come complete with roti & ring....

Here's a few pics & discussions on those commercial models:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/what-kind-of-rotisserie-to-fit-a-turkey-with-plenty-of-clearance/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-question(s)-about-the-rotisserie/msg54642/#msg54642

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/how-to-set-up-my-new-22-5in-kettle-for-rotisserie/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"