Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gas Assist Alternativ  (Read 4853 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Gas Assist Alternativ
« on: January 29, 2015, 07:01:55 AM »
Gas assist alternative:
I made a post recently about wanting to upgrading to a performer.

I have a one touch platinum with side table that is in great shape:

I light my chimneys with starter cubes and it works fine, but I feel this urge to upgrade to Gas Assist performer. Why? because I’m a man child and I want all the cool toys!
The nagging thought that gas assist will get me going faster drives me crazy.

Am I Crazy? Is there a significant difference in time using gas vs basic starter cubes?

I'm dabbling with buying a new one and selling this one but the likely cost difference of over $200 just for gas assist just isn’t worth it in my opinion.

I’ve been waiting for a local performer on Craigslist but there haven’t been any that have panned out.

If I had a legitimate cost effective Gas Assist Alternative that was as fast and nearly as easy then I think I would learn to deal with what I already have.

The Grill(s) are close to the house and with a toddler & a dog with no sense of self preservation roaming around I have ruled out turkey fryer burner and weed burner.

While the idea of Drilling the kettle and adding the gas assist burner is temping, the parts cost and, potential issues with drilling make this not viable for me.

This leaves me with the following alternatives:

Hand Torch ($20-50)

I know some people use a standard hand torch and use that to light their coals. Can you light a weber chimney with a hand torch or do you simply light the pile/basket of coals and wait?

How does this compare to gas assist with with heat output and lighting time?

Has Anyone mounted one for permanent use or to use long enough to light coal without holding in hand?

Perhaps something like this

Combined with this

Anyone ever use the swivel style? Any Advantage?

Does the $50 MAP gas torch light coals faster significantly then the $20 basic propane torch?

Outdoor Torch ($40-50)

Is type of torch Better for  lighting a weber chimney with this torch or do you simply light the pile/basket of coals and wait?

My Gas Grill doesn't have a side burner but in keeping with that mind set what about a camp stove?

$25

$40

Anyone have any experience using any of these with a chimney?

I think if I used the standing cylinder, I might want to place the chimney on a supported grate just above the burner as placing the chimney directly on top of the cylinder could become a top heavy batch of flaming coals on top of a propane cylinder which might not be the smartest idea.

I would love to hear feedback on any of these set ups.
Again if  your opinion is I should just KISS and use the starter cubes I would love to hear that too.

Thanks.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

jmbaute

• Happy Cooker
Re: Gas Assist Alternativ
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »
This weekend I used my gas assist for the first time in a LONG time- like 5 years. I've been using chimney/newspaper because I ran out of propane one day and never bothered to refill. Since it was a re-assembly of my performer (see other thread), I thought I'd check it vs a chimney with newspaper. Friday night I timed the chimney- about 25 minutes to coals ready. On Saturday I used gas assist with charcoal baskets- maybe 20 minutes till I was cooking? I'd like to do a couple more tests but I don't think the time savings is significant. Something to be said, though, for pouring out the coals and pressing a button...just feels cool.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »
The gas assist is handy. I like it a lot. The down side is to remember to turn it off after a few minutes. With the cubes you can light it and walk away. It's one less trip back to the grill to turn off the gas.

If I'm cooking on several grills, I save a gas assist performer for lighting chimneys. I also most always use a chimney with the assist. I like pouring out the chimney and having the hottest coals on top.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
KISS

And play with the toddler and the dog while you wait.

Or

Teach your little one to use the weed burner, and the dog to fetch a beer    :o

Dude, relax your chicken.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
I really dig the gas assist. But, find the cubes work almost as well.

On my kamodo, I use a propane torch (mapp is hotter, although I don't think it makes a diff for the extra money) or a looftligher, which is fine, but not as quick.

I don't think I'd invest in one of the other options, unless you wanted them for other use. The 2 burner $40 camp stove might be nice to have on hand...

I'd say get a gas assist perf. Or continue to use the cubes.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
If you go the Benzomatic torch route, you can add one of these if you have need for a hand held broiler. (This does not work with mapp)

http://www.amazon.com/Booker-Dax-Searzall-Blowtorch-Attachment/dp/B00L2P0KNO

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »
@jmbaute the comparison is what i was looking for. I would love to see a legit side by side test.

@dazzo The toddler can wreck the house with a sippy cup, with a weed burner she'd trash the zip code. The dog would fetch the beer, drink it, and then leave me them empty bottle to dispose off

@ClubChapin That Searzall is nuts, but i think that's the same ballpark as the weed burner. As i typed this i also thought The two burner propane stove could have other uses outside of chimney lighting. We used them tons when i used to camp as a kid. That could also come in handy for tailgates and to have as a backup in case of black outs. For $40 bucks i think that might be a worthy investment.

If anyone else has any additional feedback i would love to hear that too.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

polishmartin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
I started off with a gas assist Performer, and thought I would never use cubes again.  Until I got the cheap performers at Home Depot (no gas assist) for $75, I do not have any issues with using cubes and chimney starter.  Worst just as good.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
@ClubChapin That Searzall is nuts, but i think that's the same ballpark as the weed burner. As i typed this i also thought The two burner propane stove could have other uses outside of chimney lighting. We used them tons when i used to camp as a kid. That could also come in handy for tailgates and to have as a backup in case of black outs. For $40 bucks i think that might be a worthy investment.

The Searzall wouldn't make a good charcoal lighter.  It could provide an additional use for a Benzomatic torch.  I use one with my Sous vide.  Can also toast with it.  Have not done it yet, but want to try it with kitkats (have the kit kats in hand).  I don't have a toaster oven and think the searzall will work well.

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/now-in-los-angeles-the-kitkat-bar-you-can-bake-5143653

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »
@polishmartin if you really think the cubes are as good as the gas assist then maybe I will just stick to what I got.

polishmartin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
@polishmartin if you really think the cubes are as good as the gas assist then maybe I will just stick to what I got.

Absolutely - a single cube takes a little longer (5 minutes, 10 tops) to start a fullish chimney starter, but it's never been an issue for me.  When the cube has just extinguished, I shake the chimney starter so all the coals on top get mixed up and lit (I do this even with gas assist performer). 

Newspaper/veggie soaked paper towels are a last resort, as they leave a mess in the bottom of the kettle, unless of course you start the coal elsewhere.

Martin

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »
Personally I would not use MAP gas anywhere near food I had to eat
Use the regular propane.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
Personally I would not use MAP gas anywhere near food I had to eat
Use the regular propane.

I just saw that elsewhere....what's the particulars on that?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »
mapp gas is considered a carcinogen, and it is reactive with copper, it can react with copper of more than 70 ish percent and cause explosive compounds

Just found this and added to post http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0393.html
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:13:20 PM by Jammamto »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
Thanks, saw that on another forum, but no explanation......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"