Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Catfish on the Performer  (Read 1581 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Catfish on the Performer
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »
I tried doing catfish that was breaded and then done on the grate.     I lit two baskets of lump, once lit i pushed them apart and put a drip pan in.     I dredged them in a egg and Soy milk wash (lactose intolerent) with some Siracha then into the breading.  Once that was done on to the grill!

Lessons learned, i think i should have oiled the grates as i lost some breading to the charcoal gods. I'm not sure if i should have did it direct first to set the breading then indirect after?

They tasted good, not really sure what i was expecting on the breading it wasn't crispy. Not a failure but not a success.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Catfish on the Performer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »
Looks tasty!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »
To crisp up breading I melt a little butter and mix it with some olive oil.  Then towards the end of the cook I brush breaded pieces with this mixture and go direct over high heat coals. Be sure not burn it a lot(keep turning) and go till breading is to your liking of how crispy it is.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
To crisp up breading I melt a little butter and mix it with some olive oil.  Then towards the end of the cook I brush breaded pieces with this mixture and go direct over high heat coals. Be sure not burn it a lot(keep turning) and go till breading is to your liking of how crispy it is.
Interesting thanks!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
Were you trying to avoid frying?  I know some do a quick dip in oil to crisp, then finish cooking n the grill. 

Wait.....I may be wrong.  Is that only good with chicken?
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
Were you trying to avoid frying?  I know some do a quick dip in oil to crisp, then finish cooking n the grill. 

That might be a real good way to go about fish pieces......Maybe wok 'em at the end to crisp?

Still a pretty good cookup, Ron.....a little loss of breading on the play.....not so bad !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:49 AM »

I have seen some here do chicken this way (breaded and done on the grill) and decided to try it with fish, what could go wrong!  ;D ;D