Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old vs New JJ  (Read 5200 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Old vs New JJ
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:17:21 AM »
Hey everyone,

After I did a couple of cooks on my SS Performer, my wife says we should get a Weber for car camping...she loves the old blue colors, and even the non-avocado green.

Questions in no particular order:

Jumbo Joe vs Smokey Joe:  would be interested in you guys' take on the preferable one for car camping. Normally it is just my wife and I on the trips.  If we have a bigger trip, I would probably just take my Weber portable gas grill, the one with the tannish top.

Old JJ vs New JJ:  New JJ seems to have some advantages from what I am reading...bottom vent is easier to work with and the regular 18.5" grates fit it.  But only one color available, and my wife would love to have a blue one!  Also heard that a chimney starter would fit inside the old one for packing in the car, but not in the new one.  So is the old one easy enough to work with that I hold out and find a blue one?

Conversely, is it ok to buy a new one and paint the outside blue? lol

Anyway, depending on the input, I may be posting a WTB in the buy/sell section!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:21:26 AM by namtrag »

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
Re: Old vs New JJ
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 07:49:37 AM »
Namtrag, can't really give much advice on this but if you have a Target very close by you may want to see if they have any clearance items left.  The ones near me were cleaned out a couple of weeks ago but at one point they had the jumbo joe's on clearance, they also have the smokey joe but it is sold year round and they don't mark them down.  You said in another post that your Kmart still had some clearance items so if you have a Target close by I would look but I wouldn't go too far because it is a slim chance they have anything left. 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:58:19 AM »
Thanks, we go to Target often, and they never did have the JJ on clearance when we went.  I did manage to pick up a grate with the flip sides for 4.99 a couple of weeks back, but that was all they had worth getting!

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:09:23 AM »
I think JJ's only have black, green and red. The latter 2 are hard to find. I might be wrong.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:46:56 AM »
 You can make a Mini WSM and paint the tamale pot your wife's favorite shade of blue.

8)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 11:16:52 AM »
Nam,

There's a noticeable size difference between the SJ and the JJ.  The JJ is "portable", but it does take up more space.

It really comes down to what kind of things you cook.   I mean, if you are cooking burgers and beans for 2, the SJ is more than big enough.   Now, if you wanted to throw on a couple of ribeyes, some corn on the cob, grilled peppers, zucchini and squash and 2 bakers, then the JJ would definitely be the way to go.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
This is my older version JJ. The lid on this one is taller (More volumn above the cooking grate) than the newer version. The cooking grates, that most stores stock, do not fit this older version, which is a pita! I was just on the phone with Weber and the gal wanted me to send a pic, cause she didn't understand what I was describing. I was just inquiring about a new grate. Ended up giving up  :-\

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 02:54:17 PM »
This is my older version JJ. The lid on this one is taller (More volumn above the cooking grate) than the newer version. The cooking grates, that most stores stock, do not fit this older version, which is a pita! I was just on the phone with Weber and the gal wanted me to send a pic, cause she didn't understand what I was describing. I was just inquiring about a new grate. Ended up giving up  :-\

Jason, what year is that JJ from ?

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
Jason, what year is that JJ from ?

It's a "DO", so 2005.

I bought this one to replace the one before it, because I was using it after grilling at the beach for bon fires. Putting the fire out with saltwater wasn't the best idea, but got the job done! :o

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
There's advantages to both I guess. With the older style (1990-2006 Outrider, JJ, SJP) you have the circulation and grate height (above the charcoal) of a standard 18.5 kettle. However I wish it had either daisy vents or a one touch system like the regular kettles. The only thing I like about the new style is the bottom vent and the standard 18 grate fits but I don't know if I'm wild about the cooking and charcoal grates being so close together. Just my .02 there.

Now if you really want it to be blue, you can always find an older blue 18.5, add a lid lock and/or sawed down legs and make a homemade JJ that's still portable and still a Weber. Painting the whole thing blue may not hold up well.

Here's a couple examples of some modified 18.5's....

Here's one of my 70s reds with a modified leg kit. Very portable!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
@namtrag  I am one of the rare people who actually thinks the old-school JJ makes a great cooker.  I've used it for direct cooking with good success, and found it to be a great roasting kettle as well.  Plus they look really awesome. 

@Jason Beach , next time you call Weber, arm yourself with the proper stock numbers and see if that shakes anything loose.  I put them in this thread:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/parts-numbers-for-the-jumbo-joe/msg51154/#msg51154
One of the charcoal people.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:38 PM »
NVM.   I should have read as Mike beat me to it.   :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:24:44 PM by demosthenes9 »

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 05:36:54 AM »
Lots to think about on the JJ...in the meantime I am getting a great deal from Troy on his 1989 SJ!

I am sure I will end up with a JJ someday, as this Weber collecting is becoming a sickness. 

I am intrigued with converting an old standard 18.5", particularly if I can get a nice color one.   @Craig, did you add the piece onto that green one that snaps the lid down, and if so, was it fairly easy to do?

The nice thing about converting an old 18.5 is that the grate is the standard size.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 07:34:09 AM »
Also, re: portability, the older JJs are obviously meant to close up tight and stay that way, containing all coals and ash in the bottom of the bowl.  But if you want to make it even more portable, the legs are only attached with wing nuts and fit inside the upturned lid, which likewise nestles into the bowl.  Put the grates on the very top and you're ready to roll with a pretty small package which will squeeze into your vehicle for a road trip.  You can also sneak some charcoal into the bottom of the bowl. 

...of course the newer JJ might work the same way, I have no idea. 
One of the charcoal people.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 01:18:54 PM »
@namtrag , If your part of the country is like mine, you can usually find an old 18" kettle fairly cheap. I made my own Jumbo Joe/Smokey Joe Platinum or whatever you want to call it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/profile/?u=288;area=showposts;sa=topics;start=15

I got this kettle for $20 and bought the Lid lock wire (Weber #86824) for about $5. A gorgeous handle from Zavod44 and I was set!
This one is a daisy wheel kettle but you could do the same with an OTS.

A bunch of black kettles
-JC