Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer Propane Conversion  (Read 8434 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
SS Performer Propane Conversion
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:57:26 AM »
Since I think my odds are pretty slim finding the correct propane tank for my SS Performer, I'm considering modifying it to use the disposable bottles. Has anybody done this before? I can't seem to find anything using the search feature here. I'm hoping to get some input, from someone that has done this before. Also, hoping to see some pics of this conversion, if possible. What do you guys think?

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: SS Performer Propane Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
Since I think my odds are pretty slim finding the correct propane tank for my SS Performer, I'm considering modifying it to use the disposable bottles. Has anybody done this before? I can't seem to find anything using the search feature here. I'm hoping to get some input, from someone that has done this before. Also, hoping to see some pics of this conversion, if possible. What do you guys think?

I think the 5lb. tanks are still available.  They may not have the quick release valve.  You might need to get a new regulator connector or adapter.  If you have your old valve, you may be able to move it to a new tank.

These might work:
http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-10054-ACME-Vertical/dp/B000243QA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412010633&sr=8-2&keywords=5+lb+propane+tank
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reconditioned-5lb-Propane-Cylinder-BBQ-Mr-Heater-Fishing-Tank-OPD-Valve-/121445756730

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:26:43 AM »
What kind of fitting do you have on the end of the tube under your performer?  Is it a "Quick-connect"?  Can you remove it an put on one of these http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F276172-Propane-Adapter/dp/B000AMC5WO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412011496&sr=8-2&keywords=propane?
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »
This is what I have.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »
Jason...I recently converted my SS performer from old style quick release to new style hose and regulator assembly.  I called Weber customer support and managed to get the hose & regulator assembly below for about $60. 

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hose-and-regulator-assembly-p-1477479.html

As for the tank, I ordered one of the reconditioned ones eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reconditioned-5lb-Propane-Cylinder-BBQ-Mr-Heater-Fishing-Tank-OPD-Valve-/121445756730

It's been a very nice setup so far.  I like the Weber OEM parts and fit & finish, especially the tank because it has the flat handle that allows it to be mounted in the cart just like the original. 

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
Thanks for the input so far! I'm still hoping to see if anyone has converted one to the disposable bottles, just to see how it looks.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:25:04 PM »
@crumbsnatcher , got any pics of how the bottle sits on the performer?
I'm searching for one over here and the only ones that fit tend to sit on an angle once installed on the bracket
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
You can convert to the disposable bottle. You will need the newer regulator-valve.
They fit into the burner tube exactly the same as the old hose does. Its held in with a  C clip.
You will need to fab a bracket to mount it somewhere on the cart. Most likely the front panel.
 I see that on yours, the wires are cut on the burner tube, so you will need to fix that as well.
You can also get a new OPD fitting for yours and just get a new or refurbished tank.
In t he long run it would be the cheaper way to go.
AJ  8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
@crumbsnatcher , got any pics of how the bottle sits on the performer?
I'm searching for one over here and the only ones that fit tend to sit on an angle once installed on the bracket

The old performer tanks had a flatter bracket as opposed the newer Manchester tanks that are round. Make sense?
AJ  8)

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
SS Performer Propane Conversion
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »
@Hogsy ...see the pictures below. My tank is a refurb original OEM SS performer Manchester tank with the new style OPD connection. As Heyjude mentioned above, these original tanks have a flat side to the handle so they sit flush and securely in the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:08:47 PM by crumbsnatcher »

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »
I was hunting for a tank like that a while ago and then gave up. And now that my SS is leaving the stable,  I'm not too concerned. 

Having said that, I sourced a 1.25 kg bottle (3 lb??) Over the weekend and messed around making a small bracket to make it fit. Because it had a 3/8 fitting and my SS has a POL connection, I needed to use an adapter. This made the tank sit to high and I couldn't close the lid. So u fabbed up a bracket.

I hope the pictures make sense.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 01:34:43 PM »
This picture is before I flipped the reg around so the bulky part is hanging underneath.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Thanks for the input so far! I'm still hoping to see if anyone has converted one to the disposable bottles, just to see how it looks.
PM Big B. He converted his SS to disposable using a regulator and control knob from a gas GA. It didn't seem to hard to do but then it wasn't me doing it.  Hey @Big B. Help a brother out!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
Hmmm... maybe I'll just use the gas assist, on my other Performer, to light the coals for now    ;D

Seriously, thanks for the ideas guys!

This is the part that I have been thinking of using...

You can convert to the disposable bottle. You will need the newer regulator-valve.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
It will cost you around $40 for it. That's why I suggested to just upgrade yours to a newer OPD fitting and then get the proper tank.