Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally Getting My Jumbo Joe...PLUS!  (Read 3275 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Finally Getting My Jumbo Joe...PLUS!
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
Hello, Everyone:

Well, I'm finally getting my Jumbo Joe, AND the table, AND a barbecue utensil set, all with my credit card reward points.

I've been reading about the Jumbo Joe, and how utilitarian it is, especially for small cooks, although some have said that it can accommodate decently large cuts of meat, as well as low 'n slow cooks.  I'm interested in it mainly because it's portable.  And with some of my relatives I gave myself such a build-up with all the Facebook postings of my barbecue exploits, that now they're expecting me to produce something at the next reunion in '15.

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
Re: Finally Getting My Jumbo Joe...PLUS!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
You'll love it. I have one I take  in the fifth wheel for cooking while camping. Travels well.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
Congrats!  The JJ is a good cooker.  Like wrehfield, I have one in my camper and have done some pretty tasty tri-tip roasts on it in addition to chicken, burgers, etc.  When you fire it up, post some pics!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
Please forgive me Weber Kettle Gods but for portable use I love and prefer the Q series Webers.  I had a baby Q and loved it but had to sell it to pay for my Kamado purchase (another Kettle sin).  Now I have a Q 200 with a stationary stand, I LOVE it.

BTW, congrats on your purchase, many long a enjoyable cooks to you........
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:47:07 AM »
Please forgive me Weber Kettle Gods but for portable use I love and prefer the Q series Webers.  I had a baby Q and loved it but had to sell it to pay for my Kamado purchase (another Kettle sin).  Now I have a Q 200 with a stationary stand, I LOVE it.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

I secretly covet the Q series portable grills...AND I secretly covet the BGE.  The Weber Kettle gods will banish me to Bogeyland.

The JJ and accessories should be here in a week or two.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »

I have an agent delivering a Q to me in an hour. I'm quite excited for it!

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
Now it's the Weber Q club eh ?   
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:19 AM »
Got a NIB Jumbo Joe for $35 this summer and find the grill very handy.  I use it far more than I though I would.  The coals are much closer to the cooking grate and the chamber is smaller than a normal 18 inch Kettle so I believe this may make for a better steak cooker.  I do not have a 18 inch full size kettle so I am comparing the Jumbo Joe's performance to a 22.5 Kettle here but my thinking is the sear is much better when cooking steak.  I have smoked stuff low and slow on the JJ and the amount of charcoal necessary to bring it to the low 200's is literally a handfull.  I box the charcoal in with firebricks and get about 50 minutes on a handfull of lump....wow.  As per getting and keeping clean smoke - it behaves just like my 22.5s.  Gotta love a Weber Kettle I say.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
GASP! There's some majorly blasphemous and heretical talk going on here!   

A non joking response, but I'd be interested in seeing how you guys set up your coals in your JJs.  Pictures would be awesome.   I've had one since last year and just have a REALLY hard time with it getting hot.  I feel like I can't even come close to the temps I see on my 22.5  I really wish it had a second daisy wheel or like a mini one touch system to get more air from underneath. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:47:22 AM by Johnpv »

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
Three times I tried posting a reply, and three times something went wrong.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »
Let's try this again.

What I was trying to say...I'm not a grilling god.  I'm still on the upside of the learning curve.  I take copious notes, figuratively speaking, when I visit the WKC and other forums (or is that "fori?"); so, I appreciate all the advice and suggestions, including the ribbing (pun intended).

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 05:16:07 AM »
Do the newer JJ's have the same size grate as the older JJ's?
If it breathes, we can cook it!

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
Do the newer JJ's have the same size grate as the older JJ's?

According to the ad, the size of the grate is 18.5".  Perhaps others in this forum who are more knowledgeable about the JJ can give a definitive answer.

Every time I went to the store (Lowes, HD, Wal-Mart), either they had only the SJ, or the JJ they had was tied down (I couldn't open it to look inside).