Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe - Are They Available?  (Read 3473 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe - Are They Available?
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
Hello, Everyone:

I've been researching the Jumbo Joe.  I'm thinking about getting one to use when we travel up north for our annual family reunion/picnic.

We visited HD, Lowes, Wal-Mart, and Ace Hardware.  It seems that the vendors have it available in their online stores, but not in their brick 'n mortar stores.  I want to see it up close so that I can get a visual on how big/small this thing is, and to play with the dampers and the lid.  The price is cheap enough, even with the add-ons (hinged grate; table).

So, is this such a hot item?  Or is it so new that the stores don't yet have it in stock?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Jumbo Joe - Are They Available?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:59 AM »
Strange, I know it's not a big seller but usually Ace and HD will have them set up. Have you tried the Target in Titusville? It's very similar to a SJ, but the shallow bowl throw's things off visually. I anticipate that it can be used just like a normal size 18. After all, they do share the same lid. Good luck!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
One of our Walmarts here has 3 as of this weekend. I've seen one assembled + in boxes at Lowe's. I think you're just unlucky.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
Not sure about this season, but Target had them assembled and in stock last year.  I remember because they all looked like they had been assembled by blind bears.  Someone should have put them out of their misery. 
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »

Mike, the blind bears are fully employed & back at it again this year........... :o

Check Target, most likely candidate...........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
I bought two at Target last fall when they started blowing out their seasonal grilling stuff. I think I paid $16 each for them. I ended up giving them both away, but will buy some more this year if I can get them at that price. Sweet little grills. I just wish the top vent was riveted on instead of a screw/bolt
-Keith

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »
I got one last year when Target cleared them out.  They're nice grills, and they have a surprisingly good amount of cooking space, I just wish it had at least one more daisy wheel intake.  I find it doesn't get enough air to get the coals screaming hot.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
I got one last year when Target cleared them out.  They're nice grills, and they have a surprisingly good amount of cooking space, I just wish it had at least one more daisy wheel intake.  I find it doesn't get enough air to get the coals screaming hot.

We found this out last weekend when we were camping.  We had used just enough distributed coals to cover the charcoal grate evenly.  All seemed well when we went to put the food on, but the fire died out very quickly.  The coals basicaly just went out.  We had enough heat to finish cooking what we tossed on, but it took almost twice the cooking time we had expected.  I don't know if it was the thermal mass of the food (9 small boneless chx breasts & 4 hot dogs) sucking the heat out of the grill faster than the airflow could burn the coals or what?  Either way, thats the only time I've ever had Kingsford blue just go out on me.  I think some added airflow would have helped.
-Keith

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »
I don't think it was the thermal mass of the food, I just think it's the lack of air flow.   It's still an 18.5 inch grill with one daisy wheel, it's just not enough air.   Plus it's right on the bottom and ash fall seems to hinder the air flow as well.  I think it would work much better if you had a daisy wheel on each side, or just a mini 1 touch system.   I've found that using half the amount of charcoal as I would think/like to use seems to help.  Since the bottom of the grate won't be covered then, seems to allow to breath more. 

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »
Sound like it might be worth trying a charcoal that produces less ash if that's a problem.  You could try Kingsford Competition, Stubbs or even lump charcoal.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
Interesting about the current Jumbo Joe. My Smokey Joe Silver seems to easily get really hot with the same basic intake design. I'd wager that one of those charcoal holder deals made from a cut down tuna fish can like some of the mini WSMs use might help, if ash is really clogging the intake.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 03:09:46 PM »
I only use Stubbs and Lump, and I don't know for sure that ash is blocking it or clogging it, but I definitely don't think it's ideal to have the daisy wheel right on the bottom. 

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
For what it's worth, I just saw a couple of these for sale at Target today, so they are still around.

Good luck picking one up..
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 03:59:04 AM »
I went to Target yesterday.  The Jumbo Joe was on display.  It was wedged into the shelf, no clearance to remove the lid.  It was "bolted" down with those plastic ties such that it could not be moved.  It was virtually locked into place.  I tried to move it just a little so that I could remove the lid lock to see inside.  I could not move it at all.

At least now I know where I can purchase it, if and when I decide to purchase it.  But I still want to be able to remove the lid, see inside, play with the dampers, and so on.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 04:13:25 AM »
I checked at my Weber dealer and he had a Jumbo Joe on display and has a few more in stock as well.  It is a normal stock item for him to carry these.  He has all Weber 2014 Kettles in stock.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)