Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ace Hardware Score  (Read 5398 times)

GrillGirl

• Smokey Joe
Ace Hardware Score
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:49:26 PM »
Despite lurking for over a year, I've finally joined WKC after this little incident today made me realize I have a real problem.

See, it started with a SS Performer my friend/evangelist/enabler Mike Stavlund rescued for me last summer.  Stav tried to tell me I'd be stalking Craigslist for a WSM in no time, but I was in denial.  Then, I moved to Minnesota, where I have this huge deck just begging for more cookers.  So I've been stalking for months now, but no luck. 

It finally became summer in Minnesota, oh, last week.  After much hemming and hawing I decided to use saved up gift cards to treat myself to a new WSM.  The local Home Depot supposedly had them in stock, according to their website, but they were out when I got there. (I did happen upon their last three 2-packs of KBB for $9.88, so the trip was not a total loss).   So hoping against hope I went to Ace Hardware (whose website said they were out of stock). True to their website, there was none in the store.  However, pulling in, I saw this:

So I casually ask the guy whether they're just throwing it away or if they just store it by their dumpster.  He goes and looks, shrugs, and says "it's pretty beat up... You can have it if you want it... "

It will need a new ash sweep - can someone let me know what part number that is?  And of course new wooden handles, I know where to get those! :)

And here's the part where I know I have a problem... It's going to look so great chugging along next to my new WSM!!

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ace Hardware Score
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »
Great pick-up GrillGirl.  You'll have a deck full of grills if your good fortune continues.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
Great pick up Grillgirl and welcome to the site.  Send me a PM. I can help with the ash sweep.   

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »
 Yea !!!!

part # is most likely 7444, Weber, larger hardware stores that carry grills..............older model # is 7409, but there's not many of those left around in stores...............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
HELLO GRILLGIRL!!!  What a great score, and story!  You sure you don't want to hold out for a free WSM? ;-)

I am so glad you signed onto WKC-- wait till the crew tries your recipe for bacon-wrapped stuffed figs...
One of the charcoal people.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »
Hi GrillGirl, yeah, you got it bad kiddo.. and Mike you should NOT be ashamed for infecting the poor child. ::) anywho..
Welcome to the WKC and that redhead is a sweet score in anybodies book..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

GrillGirl

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
Thanks all!  I'm still grinning. 

Hey Buckie, it's got a 7409 in it now, can I swap in a 7444?  I know we had to hunt for a 7409 last summer for my Performer...

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
Nice score. I'm looking forward to the fig recipe. I love figs. Also wanna see some pics of that new WSM.
A Wonderful Family!!!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Wow that is a great score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »
Talk about right place at the right time, congrats!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »
Sweet score........and also, welcome to the site
-Keith

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Awesome score !

I recently swapped out a "hex drive" (thumb screw) for a SS "H-drive" #90720
My kettles are not as old as yours, so I wouldn't buy an H-drive until you can confirm fitment.
I like the #90720 best and I'm hoarding new one "just in case"....it's the Weberitis.

These are the last stainless steel H-drives that I know of....new model is aluminized steel.
http://www.allpartsgrills.com/ecommerce/weber-charcoal-grill-cleaning-blade-kit.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 04:54:21 PM by DirectDrive »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »

Hey Buckie, it's got a 7409 in it now, can I swap in a 7444?  I know we had to hunt for a 7409 last summer for my Performer...

The 7444 will work fine for a OTS ashpan. It's when you are trying to use the old style OTG ash catcher where you may need a 7409. Welcome to WKC!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

GrillGirl

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 05:13:14 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  I'll get 'er shined up and put out some pics soon.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »

They got you all set on the sweeps.....I was steak'd, tater'd & corn'd & passed out for a bit............. ::)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"