Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid bale repair question  (Read 1015 times)

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
Lid bale repair question
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:25:22 AM »
I'm looking at purchasing a performer that has the lid bale disconnected from the kettle at one of the two outer connection points. The pictures don't show it close up, so my question is: What do you think the most likely cause is, and will it be an easy/inexpensive fix?

My guess is there's a missing nut... Thoughts?
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Lid bale repair question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:28:42 AM »
Definitely a missing nut and maybe a flat washer.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lid bale repair question
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:32:38 AM »
It's probably just missing the nut; the "bolt threads" are integral with the lid bale.

When I got my Performer I replaced the lid bale nuts with SS. And then, upon tightening, almost pulled the lid bale into the kettle ...

I'd tightened the nuts so much the little "slots" that act as stoppers began cutting into the bowl holes! I think I had to add washers on the outside to avoid this; the nuts just would't get tight enough to keep the lid bale from rattling loose.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch