Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Should I buy a rotisserie?  (Read 4958 times)

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
Should I buy a rotisserie?
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »
I have the opportunity to buy a used 22" rotisserie for $50. I consider myself a novice and don't know if I'd use it, but part of me thinks I'd regret turning it down. Thoughts?
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: Should I buy a rotisserie?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 05:31:44 AM »
Yes that is a fair deal. But then you have to use to see if you like it? I have been trying to buy one myself.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:57:36 AM »
If you've got the spare cash, YES. Anything that can be speared and secured will cook nicely on one.

I recently paid $90 for a used one and don't regret it. I need to find the small weight that goes on the end, at the black ring.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »
I paid $70 for mine and didn't look back.  I like the roto a lot.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 06:19:05 AM »
For that price, I would definitely buy it.  If you don't use it, you could always sell it for the same price or more.
-Keith

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »
You should already be on your way.
A Wonderful Family!!!

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »
You should already be on your way.

I know. Baby logistics have hurt used grill pursuits as of late.
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 07:29:37 AM »
Do what you have to do, with the baby logistics and all, but if you can get this you won't regret it. Just thread a couple chickens on the baby and just leave it alone for an hour and change and you'll be amazed. You'll also be a grilling rockstar in your own home! I love mine and use it for roti cooks, of course, but also as a riser for turkeys or beer can style chicken.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
If you've got the spare cash, YES. Anything that can be speared and secured will cook nicely on one.

I recently paid $90 for a used one and don't regret it. I need to find the small weight that goes on the end, at the black ring.

ATS, You can probably make one for a few bucks with an eyelet and some big nutsor washers for weight at home depot. The weight is 327g and 1.75" long x 1.375"dia and sits 4" off axis.

and to the OP, yes, definitely try it out! the Roti makes great chicken and adds a different element to your cooks. You can't go wrong for $50.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 08:43:51 AM »
Paid $50 for mine. I use it often and love it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »

ATS, You can probably make one for a few bucks with an eyelet and some big nutsor washers for weight at home depot. The weight is 327g and 1.75" long x 1.375"dia and sits 4" off axis.

Thanks. 4" off axis from what? The only pic I've seen of one was hanging down from the black ring a little bit, like on a string.

One more question ... given that most any meat will weigh enough to keep the spit on the ring and offset the motor's weight, what's the purpose of the weight, anyway?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 08:58:21 AM »

Thanks. 4" off axis from what? The only pic I've seen of one was hanging down from the black ring a little bit, like on a string.

One more question ... given that most any meat will weigh enough to keep the spit on the ring and offset the motor's weight, what's the purpose of the weight, anyway?

That weight is a counterweight so you can balance the load. For example, if you got a chicken with a huge breast, it will strain the motor when the breast goes spinning up, and pull the motor when it's spinning down. You can set the counterweight opposite of the uneven meat to balance to load and get it to spin smoother. The meat is well supported by the roti ring and motor so the weight is purely to even out the rotational load.

The weight is offset 4" from the rotational axis:

It spins with the rod, not just hang.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:00:17 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
I say buy it.
Or try this.
Make a Ham on your $30.00 Weber Rotisserie 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/make-a-ham-on-your-$30-00-weber-rotisserie/msg93198/#msg93198
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
Buy it.  $50! Buy it!  You will not regret it.
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »

That weight is a counterweight so you can balance the load. For example, if you got a chicken with a huge breast, it will strain the motor when the breast goes spinning up, and pull the motor when it's spinning down. You can set the counterweight opposite of the uneven meat to balance to load and get it to spin smoother. The meat is well supported by the roti ring and motor so the weight is purely to even out the rotational load.

The weight is offset 4" from the rotational axis:

It spins with the rod, not just hang.

Why is that pizza roller stuck on your handle ? :)

Esto Perpetua
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs