Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning Grates & Bowl  (Read 6128 times)

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
Cleaning Grates & Bowl
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:12:48 AM »
What tools do you guys use for cleaning the grates and bowl? I'm looking for a good brush but very leery after reading about bristles falling out. What brands do you recommend?  What strategies for cleaning do you suggest? Thanks!
I'm new to grilling so go easy on me.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Cleaning Grates & Bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
Are you talking a restoration cleaning or an annual cleaning?

For daily use, I just use a good quality grill brush. Its best after the cook, when the grill is still hot,
Lightly oil your grates to keep them from rusting.   Sweep out the cold ashes with a whisk broom.
Hose it out once in a while when the mood strikes me.

For a restoration clean up, it gets more involved..
First assess the grease and grime. If its heavy, I use Heavy Duty Easy Off. 
I always disassemble first. Easy Off is harsh and dangerous, so caution is Key. Some recommend spraying it on, then stick it in a plastic trash bag and let it soak in the sun.

Dawm Dish soap and SOS pads or 0000 Steel wool for the inside and outside of the bowl.
The charcoal grate gets a stiff wire brush to knock off the loose material.
For the charcoal grate, (Assuming its salvageable, I break out my Grinder with a 4" wire wheel.
Again, this is dangerous and caution is key. Some grates are too far gone and I just replace.
Sometimes  a plastic scraper is all you need. I have had to use a razor blade to scrape off the carbon encrusted burnt on gunk. It takes time!

Hope that helps!
AJ   8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:50 AM »
I was asking about the after-cook clean. I'm looking for suggestions on which types/brands of brushes to use and methods of cleaning? Do I need to clean the bowl at all or just the grates?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:53:34 AM »
I was asking about the after-cook clean. I'm looking for suggestions on which types/brands of brushes to use and methods of cleaning? Do I need to clean the bowl at all or just the grates?

If you have a one touch I wouldn't worry about cleaning the bowl. That all chars off anyway and the buildup adds extra thermal mass for holding temps while cooking. There are a few types of grill brushes out there. Most people recommend staying away from steel brushes as the bristles are very stiff and will be more prone to scratching and damaging a plated grate like most kettles have. A brass brush is preferred. I like one with a long handle ~16"+ so I can scrub a hot grate without heat by my arm and hand. Some people swear by these brushes that use replaceable scour pads like this one: http://www.chefsresource.com/grilwizgrilb.html It seems pretty nifty but I haven't had the chance to try one out.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
Thanks PBE - I'll read up on that one.

I've been searching through Amazon's inventory and am thinking about going with a brass brush like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Grill-Brush-Strong-Guarantee/dp/B00CFM0P7Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »
This is a good place to ask, we did a butterflied leg of lamb on Saturday night.  Like an idiot I forgot to use a drip pan and got a ton of melted fat at the bottom of my grill.  Should I be worried and cleaning that out asap or not worry about it?

utahusker

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:33:11 AM »
I use a wadded up clump of aluminum foil to clean the grates.  I've read some horror stories with wire bristles in the upper and lower intestines.

Sent from my iPad using my awesome typing skills.

93_confirmed

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 05:03:19 AM »
I use a wadded up clump of aluminum foil to clean the grates.  I've read some horror stories with wire bristles in the upper and lower intestines.

Sent from my iPad using my awesome typing skills.

I see that mentioned quite a bit in the brush reviews I've read. I went ahead and ordered the brass brush and will be diligent about checking for bristles.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »

Also, I know there's some people that get the stainless grates......be careful with those.....

Using a regular steel brush scratches & contaminates the stainless.....I never knew this....see here:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66276

And in that thread is also shows not to use electrolysis to clean stainless.....it releases toxic gas, never knew that either....... :o

This is a good place to ask, we did a butterflied leg of lamb on Saturday night.  Like an idiot I forgot to use a drip pan and got a ton of melted fat at the bottom of my grill.  Should I be worried and cleaning that out asap or not worry about it?

John, a lot of my cookers are like that....I just clean down & scrape them clear after the cook.....you may want to check if a bunch of gunk worked it's way outside to the thumbscrew for the One-Touch.....that would be good to clean up as it makes it tough to change them out if needed........
Some people undo them from time to time & clean up all the parts.......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Frantz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »
Sorry to revive this thread - I have a question regarding this topic, so I thought I would add here rather than create a new topic.

I know you guys mentioned having some build up to keep temperatures more consistent... When you do your annual cleaning, do you try to remove all of this build up? I'd like to have a pretty clean grill, but don't want to clean it too much if it diminishes the consistency of the grill temps. I was going to give my grill its first good clean (have some grease build up at the bottom of the bowl), but want to make sure I'm doing this effectively!

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »
I am surprised no one has done a write up or something on the best way to "sanitize" or clean up a newly purchased Kettle with as many times as people are buying these from craigslist or another source..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »

No official compounded article yet, but here's a good recent thread with a bunch of ideas....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/kettle-cleaning-tips/

It's maybe slightly tough to include everything, as each situation may be a little different, but generally, razor scrapers, scrubber pads (Scotchbrite), mild soap / cleaners, steel wool for finishing, aluminum polish for snazzing up the legs / ashpans....oven cleaner for the ral crusty ones......

it does depend on how far you need / want to go....some folks have done OTG ash cannisters that you can see yourself in.............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/polished-ash-ring/30/

Frantz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »
I guess my question is when you clean your grills, do you ever completely remove all of the build up to attempt to get it back to new condition? Or is it good to always have a little build up for the cooking consistencies? I bought my grill brand new, so I'm not trying to get any old stuff out of there...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »

If you like to sail a clean ship, by all means, clear it out pretty good....one thing I wouldn't do is the lip of the bowl & the inside rim of the lid, so you maintain a seal for cooking instead of having to rebuild it each time....

that said, I'm not really the best person to answer this....most of mine are insulated & will most likely stay that way...............

Bob:

Frantz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »

If you like to sail a clean ship, by all means, clear it out pretty good....one thing I wouldn't do is the lip of the bowl & the inside rim of the lid, so you maintain a seal for cooking instead of having to rebuild it each time....

that said, I'm not really the best person to answer this....most of mine are insulated & will most likely stay that way...............

Bob:

Ah that's exactly what I'm looking for! To never fail to give me pictures, buckie! Do you have trouble with rust at all without cleaning them rigorously?