Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Two Performers before noon  (Read 4200 times)

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Two Performers before noon
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
Hell of a haul this week. The yellow MBH earlier in the week and now two Performers this morning before noon

The newer black one is in great shape. The lid bail rollers need to be replaced (melted), and I want to repaint the bottom rack.  It could also use some new grates, but they are usable. Other than that, it's in great shape. It doesn't even need to have the table top cleaned.

The green SS needs a little more. It's in ok shape besides the support bars under the SS table top. They are rusted out beyond repair. That was A major bummer as the main frame is in good shape, and just needs a sand and repaint.  A new top frame is almost $70+ shipping, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do here. I might try and fix it with welding in some angle iron, but I'm not sure how that will work out. Here are some pics of the rot

The igniter is also seized up, but that is cheap. It has the 5lb propane tank included, but according to the previous owner, has never been filled. It has the newer style safety valve on the tank, so I'm going to have to ask around to see if I can get it filled locally.
-Keith

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Two Performers before noon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
Nice! Those projects sound like fun. I think harbormaster swapped out that panel after I sent him a spare. Maybe he can give you some insight. Are you keeping both?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »
I'm not keeping both. The newer one will have a new home shortly. I want to scrub out the bowl, clean up the one touch system, and repaint the bottom rack.  Then it will be passed onto a friend.  The SS I wanted for myself, but after tearing it down this afternoon, it is unusable unless I can fabricate a repair or replace that top frame. Both cross members are completely shot

It's really a shame because the rest of the frame and all of the mounting tabs are in great shape. My guess is that water laid in those cavities and it just rotted it out. On the bright side, I cleaned out the gas assist tube and the regulator and got it working. The igniter is shot, but the rest of the system works great. The previous owner said he never used it, but there was enough propane in the tank to get a flame going. Overall, it is in damn good shape except for those rusted out cross members. It also figures that they are the only parts of the frame that aren't basic 1" steel tubing.

I swear, I own a SS performer
-Keith

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
Keith, don't get rid of the SS quite yet! Do you weld? We can probably come up with a replacement crossmember to bolt or weld on. You already have it taken part so you are halfway there. Performers in complete working order are kinda hard to come by.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
You can buy 1" square tubing, cut it to size and use the insets that need to be tapped in. Some paint and you have new cross members. As for the thin piece of metal that hold the charcoal bin and the igniter plate, you can fab up some sheet metal or some type of angle iron.
We should have a write up somewhere on the frame inserts.
AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 03:25:09 PM »
Oh, it's not going anywhere.  The bowl, one touch system, and table top are damn near perfect, and the rest of the good parts just need a solid cleaning and/or touch up.  Most of the hardware needed to be cut off or twisted until the bolts snapped, but the rest of the frame is solid. I cleaned up the one touch system, tube, and tube bracket with a wire wheel and it all shined right up and looks great. It will be a nice rig once I can get that top frame addressed

And yes, I can weld. It looks like shit, but I've never had to fix something twice. I tore it all apart just to assess the damage.  It is all safely packed away in the shed until I devise a plan. I did go ahead and cut those cross members out though. They folded in half like construction paper. I'm going to do some research and then figure out a plan of repair. 
-Keith

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:02:58 PM »
I think harbormaster swapped out that panel after I sent him a spare. Maybe he can give you some insight.
I don't weld very well, but luckily I have a friend who welds for a living.
The Bracket Gummi sent me welded in good as new. Also, I had to replace the bottom cross members. 1" steel tubing. Star nuts from McMaster Carr and stainless bolts had it as good as new. Sold it to a young man from our church for what I had in it.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
Oh, it's not going anywhere.  The bowl, one touch system, and table top are damn near perfect, and the rest of the good parts just need a solid cleaning and/or touch up.  Most of the hardware needed to be cut off or twisted until the bolts snapped, but the rest of the frame is solid. I cleaned up the one touch system, tube, and tube bracket with a wire wheel and it all shined right up and looks great. It will be a nice rig once I can get that top frame addressed

And yes, I can weld. It looks like shit, but I've never had to fix something twice. I tore it all apart just to assess the damage.  It is all safely packed away in the shed until I devise a plan. I did go ahead and cut those cross members out though. They folded in half like construction paper. I'm going to do some research and then figure out a plan of repair.

Great, keep us updated!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
Hey Harbormaster, What size Star Nuts from Mcmaster did you use?  Thanks in Advance!
AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »
Hey Harbormaster, What size Star Nuts from Mcmaster did you use?  Thanks in Advance!
AJ  8)

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing this is what is needed to reconnect the frame if the inserts have rusted out
http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-tube-connector-nuts/=rm1i4f
-Keith

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »
Couple of nice scores! I don't think you'll have too much trouble repairing the SS. Can't wait to see the fix.

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:48 PM »
AJ  8)
You can go to a bike shop and get star nuts also. Take your tubes, they might even install them for you, with the special tool.
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »
Your'e on fire Pez!