Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Restore  (Read 3795 times)

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
First Restore
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
I do some competitions and my dad wants to get into smoking but I am going to teach him how I started and that is on the kettle.  I picked a kettle up off CL to give him as a gift for Father's day and I wanted to find one older than me.  It was the 2nd part to this thread and the one pictured in the ad. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/something-may-be-off-here/

I got there and it was a "B" code (bottom too!) so I brought it home and snapped a few pictures.

This is my first restore but I am bringing it down to the beach to give him this weekend so took some photos today.

Is there anyway to get these marks off?

Only things purchased was new ash pan (did not have one) and hinged grate.  By the way, my wife thought I was insane taking pictures of a grill to post on the Internet.  Thanks all.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
First Restore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
Great story and find! I think some #0000 steel wool will get it off. That's a beautiful "b" that came back to life very nicely!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First Restore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »

Bosibus,  that's pretty dang nice.....I just got one a lot like this, a bit older & not in as good a shape.....

Good cleanup....the spots may come off with mild detergent & 0000 grade steel wool, the actual chips, not a whole lot you can do there........
I've had the thought on some of my older ones with chips, to clean off the rust & "fog" the area lightly with high heat clear to keep it so it doesn't degrade any furthur.....but haven't yet got to testing that out.....

I think Harbormaster has us both beat....he got one of these older ones that's in tip-top shape.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
Ryan, that's outstanding!   Good job!
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
Cleaned up good! Looks minty!  :D

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »
Looks great... and what great Father's Day gift!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
Nice find and that will be a great gift!

WRT the rust stain, I have one that's badly stained and have not found anything that budges it. On paint you could use rubbing compound to remove the surface and eliminate that, but the porcelain is too durable for that. I tried CLR and other rest removers and they had no discernable effect. One member said to enjoy it as the patina of age. You'll need to explain that to your dad so he doesn't think you are slacking off. ;) )

I would give the ding as well as the spots where the handles attach and any other areas that show rust a shot pf Pam. That should cure in place and provide some protection. It will also darken that gray color so you may want to apply it to the entire surface.
kettles, smokers...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
Nice job and a great gift! 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 05:45:32 PM »
Nice work, B!  I'm sure your dad will appreciate it.
One of the charcoal people.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »
Giving your dad a classic Weber is one of the nicest things you can do. I have given my dad two, and he loves them!

I hope your dad appreciates the thoughtfulness of your gift!
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 08:09:36 PM »
Great job and great gift!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
Awesome.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »
That grill has a lot of class. Metal bowl handles, super clean, and character. I'm sure it will last a really long time too! Nice work
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 05:06:07 AM »
Nice job on the restore! A great present for your Dad, too.  :D

Keep taking more pics of your kettles and posting.
I think we are all in the same boat regarding the wife and the whole, "You're insane" stuff.  :o :o ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.