Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first redhead  (Read 1802 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
My first redhead
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
Like @Schaefd2 I don't know how I got here (having multiple kettles) but here I am! I was intending to own multiple kettles, but the seed was planted when a NIB smokey joe I bought for $10 ended being lime green! Soon after that I was randomly looking at Craigslist one day and I saw a post for a free redhead! It was posted only an hour early so I contacted the owner saying I'll take it and they said I was the first to respond so I could have it. I strapped my daughter in the car seat and drove an hour to pick it up. It also came with a weber cover that is too small (must be for an 18"), unused weber accessories pack (two charcoal rails, what looks like a roast holder, and accessories hook), unused chimney, electric charcoal starter, 3 bags of very old looking charcoal (based on the bag designs), and 3 bottles of lighter fluid. The guy said he just bought the house and the previous owner left all that grill stuff there. The vent code is an M and it's in pretty decent shape over all, but needs a new cooking grate as has thiiiick crust and mold.

I haven't had much time to give it a full restore but was able to mostly clean up the outside. I didn't get to finish so the triangle still has rust in the corners. I was also planning on restoring the handles. If that doesn't go well then I'll definitely be getting some zavandles!

What I didn't realize when I picked up the redhead was it was missing the ash catcher pan. It had the clips so maybe it was just misplaced. A few days later I was checking Craigslist and saw a listing for a free 22" black OTG with the newer ash catcher bin. This one was posted less than an hour earlier. Same story here, I contacted the owner, strapped my daughter in, drove an hour, and picked it up. Turns out one of the leg sockets was attached in the wrong direction so only two of the tabs of the ash catcher collar are holding it together. The sweeper also doesn't close all the way because the slot in which the sweeper handle moves ends about 1" too short to complete the closing motion. Not sure what I'll do about those quite yet. I was also able to swap the cooking grate of the black OTG with this red one so now I don't have to buy one!

Here are some pics of the incomplete restore.

Before

After

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:48:59 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: My first redhead
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »
She's a beaut!!!  you got the itch bad! enjoy it!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
NICE!
regards,
Hal

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
Oh My God  ...   what a beautiful vintage Red.  Now full OTG capable and ready to cook, cook, cook.   Someday you may want to outfit her w/ @zavod44 handles.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »
Oh My God  ...   what a beautiful vintage Red.  Now full OTG capable and ready to cook, cook, cook.   Someday you may want to outfit her w/ @zavod44 handles.

SJ

Kinda torn whether to try to restore the original handles myself to keep it vintage or upgrade to zavandles. I already ordered one of his handles and put it on my performer so I know they are quality!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
@Firemunkee   No rivets in 3-woods, so easy to take on and off.   Those are fine handles, see how they look after a little reStore.   But Zavod's are mighty nice :)

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »
Restore the handles if you can, but Zavod is the way to go otherwise.  CONGRATS! Reds are kick a$$ i have 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:38:33 AM »
That is a sweet red one! Free is best!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
My first redhead
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 05:24:22 AM »
Very nice, and at the perfect price!!!  Those handles will restore easily enough, but will likely end up dark. Set of Birdseye, or Tiger Maple handles would really pop against the red. 

It also came with a weber cover that is too small (must be for an 18").

Turns out one of the leg sockets was attached in the wrong direction so only two of the tabs of the ash catcher collar are holding it together. The sweeper also doesn't close all the way because the slot in which the sweeper handle moves ends about 1" too short to complete the closing motion. Not sure what I'll do about those quite yet.

If you have an 18" cover, you must find an 18" kettle to go with it.

Might wanna switch the direction of the ash assembly to other side (left of front leg). Both of my "M" kettles only close completely when ash assembly is to that side.  You'll have to do a little modifying of the leg socket, or ring, to make sure all three points are secure.  Some members use hose clamps as a remedy.  I use a cut-off wheel & 1/8" die grinder to make notches in leg sockets, in combination with taking down tab width a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:45:50 AM »
Very nice, and at the perfect price!!!  Those handles will restore easily enough, but will likely end up dark. Set of Birdseye, or Tiger Maple handles would really pop against the red. 

It also came with a weber cover that is too small (must be for an 18").

Turns out one of the leg sockets was attached in the wrong direction so only two of the tabs of the ash catcher collar are holding it together. The sweeper also doesn't close all the way because the slot in which the sweeper handle moves ends about 1" too short to complete the closing motion. Not sure what I'll do about those quite yet.

If you have an 18" cover, you must find an 18" kettle to go with it.

Might wanna switch the direction of the ash assembly to other side (left of front leg). Both of my "M" kettles only close completely when ash assembly is to that side.  You'll have to do a little modifying of the leg socket, or ring, to make sure all three points are secure.  Some members use hose clamps as a remedy.  I use a cut-off wheel & 1/8" die grinder to make notches in leg sockets, in combination with taking down tab width a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thought about getting an 18"  ::)

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I'll definitely give that a go the next time my schedule frees up.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 06:56:02 AM »
Nice very nice!
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »
Congrats on a great score! It cleaned up really nice. Reds rock.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
I remember my first red. Got it from @charred a few months back.
Now I have 5. Beware of the reds, they are an addiction onto themselves.