Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes  (Read 3157 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes
« on: May 28, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
So if you've seen my posts you know I absolutely love Stubbs. I posted that Lowe's online states that Stubbs is no longer available.  Someone replied that they may be rebranding their stuff. Did some googling tonight:

Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes (new Stubbs)?
https://www.duraflame.com/store/charcoal
$12 for 18 lbs .66/lb

Royal Oak sale is .26/lb

I sold my Performer to Groovinn here in the club. While we talked he mentioned he uses Royal Oak Chef's Select for his low and slow. You can get it online at Do It Best and they ship to the store for free.  I ordered 2 40lb bags and should be able to get it Monday. $49.43 or .62/lb
https://www.doitbest.com/products/838136?&_=40b462b5398fc452d1f42c74de31e0dfc222fc0f

I used the Royal Oak red bag tonight for the first time and the lovely wife and I really liked it. No bad smell, ready fast and still burning in the OTG. I'll definitely be buying more RO this week at Lowe's and I'll report back on the Chef's select. Not sure of the meaning of my post except if I can't get and afford Stubbs at retail price then RO is a good budget alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
That's what I've heard too. I have seen better reviews on royal oak and Stubbs then kbb. On the most recent sales I stocked up on royal oak instead of kbb to give it a try.

http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/best-charcoal-for-grilling/

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 05:31:48 PM »
Edit. The Royal Oak Chef's Select is .52/lb. I was adding in the tax.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
So I picked up the Royal Oak Chef's Select on my way home from work tonight. My first impression is that they are no different than the red bag ridge briquettes. I haven't taken individual briquettes and weighed them but they look the same, light the same, smell the same and burn hot as hell. I did beer brats tonight. I dumped the chimney around 6:45 and the lid thermometer on the MT is still at 400. More ash than I'm used to with Stubbs but if I can save $6 per bag then why not. I probably won't order the Chef's Select again as it costs more than the red bag.

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
So I picked up the Royal Oak Chef's Select on my way home from work tonight. My first impression is that they are no different than the red bag ridge briquettes. I haven't taken individual briquettes and weighed them but they look the same, light the same, smell the same and burn hot as hell. I did beer brats tonight. I dumped the chimney around 6:45 and the lid thermometer on the MT is still at 400. More ash than I'm used to with Stubbs but if I can save $6 per bag then why not. I probably won't order the Chef's Select again as it costs more than the red bag.

I haven't used the red bag. So you think the red bag is comparable or better to the select?  By the way, the crimson name is Rita.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
Hey Ed! Good to see you active. I don't think the red bag is any less of a briquette. I can't tell a distinguishable difference between the 2. For $6 give it a shot and give me your opinion. How's Rita these days?

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »
imo kbb sucks.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 03:14:00 AM »
Hey! That's my line!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 03:43:35 AM »
It took awhile to change a life long kbb man but I plan on using all ro lump for most cooks and ro briqs for snakes.  I'm really like the clean burn and low ash.

I still have 6 twins kbb I need to use. Maybe I'll burn that up on pizza cooks. They burn hot and work well for that

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »
@groovin I have to retract my statement here. The Chef's Select is larger and seems to be more natural by the smell and ash production. Did ribs with the ROCS and it's pretty good stuff.

Groovinn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
@groovin I have to retract my statement here. The Chef's Select is larger and seems to be more natural by the smell and ash production. Did ribs with the ROCS and it's pretty good stuff.

I am about to finish my bag of Chef Select and am going to look for the red bag and give it a try. We always put a chuck of cherry in our cooks, just to sweeten things up a bit.
If I ever figure out the pics posting here I will try and post a couple