Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Jumbo Joe vs New Jumbo Joe  (Read 2502 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Old Jumbo Joe vs New Jumbo Joe
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
I just picked up a NIB new-style Jumbo Joe this weekend from one of the community buy/sell groups on facebook (don't really need it, but I couldn't pass up the price). I already have the older style JJ, which I have yet to fire up (I know, I know....).  As of right now, the plan is to leave the new one boxed up, and save it for... future trade? ...2017 meet-up attendance prize? ...2017 secret santa gift?

My question is for the Fellas that have both the new and old style (and have used them both!)...

Which do you prefer, and why?

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Old Jumbo Joe vs New Jumbo Joe
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:05:55 AM »
Don't have a older one but I have been around one. The new style has better venting from the bottom and a shallower lid. Thus it makes a beauty grill machine and cooking wings high heat offset provides a wonderful product. I would not give mine up. The side venting on the bowl of the old one is what holds it back in my opinion.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
I like my new style Joe a lot, one of the advantages over the old one is the compatibility with the 18 kettle, I had a hinged grate that I got from target for 8 bux.  you cannot do this with the older one.

I am considering an 18 cajun bandit stacker for it someday.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »
   Bob BQ I have a question for you, what are the pros and cons of the older JJ that you can tell us about? LightningBoldtz when you get that cajun bandit stacker you'll ask yourself what took you so long also dont forget their roti both are quality accessories.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »
Old...
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
I don't need one but I do want one. They're just cool with lid bale / lock. I never see them used and my finger hovers over the proceed to check out button on amazon from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »
I have the new and I had the old style for one day but someone twisted my arm for it . So I picked up a new style at the Target closeout for less than I sold the old for.
So I have done two cooks on it and it works great,  I use a coal basket for indirect cooking of burgers and steaks. Oh three cooks I did chicken thighs for stir fry . Great for small cooks at home or road trips, & camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
The first thing I noticed was the newer (taco) one is lighter and easier to carry. The old ones are cool & fun but I'll leave them at home and beat up the newer one.

I think if Weber wanted to make the JJ great again they would eliminate the legs altogether and make it sit directly on top of a 12-14" wide one touch type ash bucket, with stubby little 3" legs under that. It wouldn't fall over in the back of your truck and the ahes would be contained.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »
   Bob BQ I have a question for you, what are the pros and cons of the older JJ that you can tell us about? LightningBoldtz when you get that cajun bandit stacker you'll ask yourself what took you so long also dont forget their roti both are quality accessories.

Haven't fired it up yet, so I don't know how it cooks. Having said that...

Pros: No worries about ashes/sparks flying out the bottom. Great for low 'n slow (from what I've heard). Much more aesthetically pleasing (LOOKER).

Cons: Taller, meaning it takes up more space if traveling.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »
Smokey joe platinum (older) has the vent holes on sides, and jumbo joe (newer) has a bottom vent. I think the bottom vents work better, not sure. Also visually the older platinum joe looks cool, the jumbo joe has taco handle and too some looks ugly. I'm at a "hung jury" not sure which is better myself. I'm leaning on a jumbo joe due to bottom vent.

Webers rule

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Another point here I have read on other sites about the older units having air flow issues so some folks have added the lower vent.
Maybe Weber was reading and followed suit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »

Old...

Why?

Because honestly better build quality. They were built back here in the states. No telling where your legs, grates, etc came from. Plus the old factor just look cool. How old are we talking about?

Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ