Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26er questions  (Read 4039 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Re: 26er questions
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:43 PM »
I don't own an older style 26.75 kettle, but I do own a newer style 26"er. I also own the new Weber Summit Charcoal grill center. The cooking grate for the SCG is 24.5". I took the cooking grate out of my SCG and tried to fit it on my 26"er just to see if it would fit? It did not fit. It was too small. It dropped below the cook grate tab supports that the cook grate sits on. I'm not sure, but I think it is quite possible that the cooking grate for the new SCG might fit the older 26" kettles? I wish I had an older 26" kettle to check it out.

Is there anyone who owns both a new SCG and an older style 26" kettle? If so, check it out please. I would be curious to know if it does fit. If it does fit, it will finally solve the problem of finding replacement cooking grates for those older style 26'ers.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
I don't own an older style 26.75 kettle, but I do own a newer style 26"er. I also own the new Weber Summit Charcoal grill center. The cooking grate for the SCG is 24.5". I took the cooking grate out of my SCG and tried to fit it on my 26"er just to see if it would fit? It did not fit. It was too small. It dropped below the cook grate tab supports that the cook grate sits on. I'm not sure, but I think it is quite possible that the cooking grate for the new SCG might fit the older 26" kettles? I wish I had an older 26" kettle to check it out.

Is there anyone who owns both a new SCG and an older style 26" kettle? If so, check it out please. I would be curious to know if it does fit. If it does fit, it will finally solve the problem of finding replacement cooking grates for those older style 26'ers.

@ramsfan I just measured my flat top's cook grate again. It's a little bigger, 24.75" diameter. So the question there is, if you knocked the SCG's cook grate off to the side a little, would it fall into the kettle or would the tabs have just enough to them, to still support it ... if you feel like driving to O'Fallon (MO) next month with your SCG cook grate, we can confirm.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke ,the diameter of the new SCG cook grate is precisely 23 7/8. Check the support tabs on your flat top and measure this diameter and see if it will work? Measure from the wall of the kettle directly across to a support tab on the other side. See if 23 7/8 goes past the edge of the support tab? If it does, then a new SCG cook grate will fit an old style 26" kettle, plus the old style 26'ers will now have the capability to accommodate Gourmet BBQ System accessories. This is something that the newer 26'ers won't be able to do. Old style 26'ers might suddenly be in great demand?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:20:37 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:53 AM »
@ramsfan, the SCG cook grate is too small. The bowl measures 24 1/8" from where you suggested, edge of wall to edge of support tab. I measured across both ways and got the same result.

Support tabs could possibly be "extended" inwards by clamping a short piece of steel somehow. Or by attaching long bars or steel plates that extend all the way to the other side. Like how Craycort does it with their CI "ring" that supports their inserts in the middle.

But the bigger issue there, is that Weber won't sell anyone a SCG part without a serial number or other ownership of a SCG. It could be at least a year or more before 3rd parties offer that grate.

Been looking at replacement cook grates for the modern 26, to use with an expanded steel ring that sits on the tabs, creating a ringed "platform" for the larger grate to sit on. Craig recently said he has this setup for a flat top.

Right now I'm on the fence, choices appear to be spend money on the 25" NOS Grill Mate that lacks hinges but fits the kettle as-is, or $100 for Weber's that has hinges but needs the expanded steel. I'm leaning towards the latter since it offers a little more cooking room, a little more height, and still offers enough space under the lid for a turkey (again, from Craig's experience.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke, here's a crazy idea: Get a new SCG cook grate and an old Weber 22.5 donor cook grate (or even an old 26 cook grate?) Take a pair of wire cutters and cut out 3 "one foot sections" along the exterior circumference rim of the donor grate. Bend theses one foot sections slightly so that they match the shape and bend of the exterior rim of the SCG grate and them spot weld them to the exterior edge in order to build it out just enough to make it fit? It wouldn't be necessary to go all the way around the outside edge of the SCG grate. Just enough to make contact with the three support tabs. The three sections wouldn't even need to be one foot in length? 4-6 inch lengths would be sufficient. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 02:02:10 PM »
I agree, that is crazy. If I were lucky enough to score a SCG grate, (and without taking out a second mortgage to get it) ... I'm guessing it would be more cost effective overall to buy a new 26 and gain proper fit, fresh parts + warranty + ash bucket + lid bale and so on. I'm already having trouble justifying the $100 or so for a new grate, when a new 26 is $300. I'm not THAT enamored of flat tops.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
That was going to be my original suggestion to you. If you're going to spend $100 on a new grate it might be wiser to spend a few $$ more and just get a whole new 26 that gives you all the latest features that you mentioned.