Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie with 1st Gen SS Performer - Ideas on Replacing One Touch System?  (Read 4585 times)

SamTheMan

• Happy Cooker
Unlike The Big Green Egg, at least I didnt need to use a construction crane to get the SS Performer on the back of my pick-up truck 😉

I do have my 2nd Weber kettle on the way and it should be here in a day or two. Its for camping trips and general outdoor fun when away from home - - a new Jumbo Joe.

The SS Performer is black (likely the most common color ?)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
The dark knight color...shine her up and she will look mean while billowing smoke especially during dusk.

Lots of happy bge owners but personally i prefer kettles.  Just seems like a lot of real estate on a bge for the cook space it offers.
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Out of all the cookers you mentions, You got the best one.
-Jeep

👍 😃

I'll be sure to post a photo when I get the chance. Would appreciate the more experienced guys input on restoration.

On this page, which is a Sticky at the top of "Kettles & Acessories" , there's acouple restorations that go thru a bunch....

@Brickout  which is unbelievably different, start to finish.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/just-scored-a-free-red-ss-performer/

and

@pbe gummi bear (Lawrence)....he's been busy as all get-out & the pictures lapsed somehow.....but it's got almost everything....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
@SamTheMan

I have part of a 7409 sweep I'll let go. It is just missing the handle which hopefully you still have, and the set screw which I am assuming you can get at any hardware store. Let me know if you are interested.  The fins and center hex lug are brand new.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:38:41 PM by Dan NY »
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
in my opinion, it's easier and better to just upgrade to the 7444 and get a new ash catcher and ring.

They fit better, they work better, they look nicer.

I agree. I never notice the radiator clamps on mine and securing the ash bucket ring this way is more solid than ever. This correct positioning has implications for whether or not the handle scraps as you move it.

Now, as for 7409 vs 7444 sweeps just by themselves being better, there's no functional difference and how smoothly they move or how well they seal has more to do with your particular bowl's condition or thickness than the sweeps.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Congrats on this great gift!

If you already have a 7444, I too would recommend an upgrade of your ash bucket and the hose clamp attachment.  That's what I did with my SS Performer, and it looks and works great. 

Either way, though, you are the big winner. 
One of the charcoal people.

SamTheMan

• Happy Cooker
Thanks everyone. I have a 7409 coming from 1buckie, so I should be all set in that area.