Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie with 1st Gen SS Performer - Ideas on Replacing One Touch System?  (Read 4584 times)

SamTheMan

• Happy Cooker
Hi guys !  I'm new to Weber grills. Recently a buddy gave me his old 1999 SS Performer kettle grill. I turned out some nice baby back ribs last weekend, but temperature control was a real challenge. This old girl needs a lot of attention, ( propane burner, tank, rust, etc). After discovering this website I decided that I want to fully restore this old grill. - - -
I wasn't able to control temperature as well as I like because the One Touch wings are rusted and bent and they let in air even in the fully closed position. Based on one retailers description I ordered a replacement One Touch, but the description (works on pre 2000 grills) was outdated and incorrect. The 7444 part doesnt work - I guess a 7409 is the replacement, but Weber no longer has these.
I did a site search and got a bit buried. I guess one fellow fabricated the bracket that holds the old cleaning/vent system, but I don't know if other parts may be available now. (This bracket is rusty on this grill, but functional).

I would appreciate your current thoughts on the best way to fix the One Touch system on this old Performer. If original parts aren't a possibility, I'll settle for functional. There's a lot more good  meals to be made with this ole' grill.   ;)  Thank you in advance for your suggestions & comments. 

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Several people can help you out..

@zavod44  I believe can help you out with a new part and @toolhead can also help with instructions on using the 7444 if you want to go that route.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
If its just surface rust you might be able to disassemble the OT system and bend the blades back. The problem is the 7409 thumbscrew frequently seizes up. You can jam a 7444 assembly sans washer in the place of the 7409 but the action will not be as good. It will be tight unless you file out the handle hole by ~.040" @toolhead or @Jeep recently did this.

A leaky lid/bowl mateup may be also the culprit you are having trouble keeping temps low.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jeep

• WKC Brave
There are a couple ways to go on making the 7444 work with your older style ash bucket. 

One is to loose the metal cross bar and use hose clamps to attach the ash catcher ring to the bowl.  Then I believe that the 7444 sweeps will work as they are. 

I did not want to use hose clamps on mine, so I cleaned up the rust on the existing Ash Catcher ring attachment bar and painted it with Rustoleum High Heat.  I then took the piece of the Ash sweep that the adjustment bar slides into and ovaled out the holes to give me the additional room that I needed to include the thickness of the original Ash ring bar in the stack of sweeps/Grill/Ash ring bar/H washer then slid the adjustment bar in.

I believe that @zavod44 has a replacement Ash Catcher ring bar available.  I don't know if it is the same as the original or if his replacement allows for the use of the 7444.

I do think that your restore deserves only the best replacement wood handles.  zavod44 can get these for you!

Good Luck
-Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
If you want to go original #7409, I can rummage around & probably find you one either lightly used or new......

Jeep's fix does work, so if you want to go thataway, that's fine too..........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SamTheMan

• Happy Cooker
Thanks guys - I gotta say youve provided the fastest and most helpful response to a question of just about any forum Ive visited (in a number of various areas of interest). 😃

1buckle - if you have an original 7409 and I can keep her original, that would be terrific !
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:51:57 PM by SamTheMan »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
PM sent ~~~~>
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
@SamTheMan

Congrats..wow....the performer was gifted to you....
Grills

SamTheMan

• Happy Cooker
Yeah my buddy was actually given a Big Green Egg by a mutual relative who was too impatient to figure it out. (That fellow is more of a micro-wave guy.) - So, I got the old Performer.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:52:48 PM by SamTheMan »

Jeep

• WKC Brave
Out of all the cookers you mentions, You got the best one.

Have any pictures of her?

-Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

SamTheMan

• Happy Cooker
Out of all the cookers you mentions, You got the best one.
-Jeep

👍 😃

I'll be sure to post a photo when I get the chance. Would appreciate the more experienced guys input on restoration.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
What color is the kettle...pics?!
Pending how much you diy...you can restore her to immaculate condition.
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Btw..you are fortunate to have it gifted.

Most of us have to run out of the house in our undershirts with one shoe on to own one.....while ducking bc.the girl is throwing the other shoe at us......
Grills

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Yeah my buddy was actually given a Big Green Egg by a mutual relative who was too impatient to figure it out. (That fellow is more of a micro-wave guy.) - So, I got the old Performer.

You ended up with the right one.

Troy

• Statesman
in my opinion, it's easier and better to just upgrade to the 7444 and get a new ash catcher and ring.

They fit better, they work better, they look nicer.