Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The stash has run dry :(  (Read 4001 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
The stash has run dry :(
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »
The charcoal stash has officially run dry as of a few weeks ago :(

There's plenty of opportunities to score Kingsford on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day, but there's a big gap between Labor Day and Memorial Day.

For as much as I grill, I hate paying full price for Kingsford.

On the flip side I'm kind of digging the Trader Joe's charcoal I've been using.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: The stash has run dry :(
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:00:42 AM »
 sucks that you're out, but have you looked into some of the store brands around you to see if they're just re-branded royal oak? better than kingsford and usually cheaper when it's bagged as a store brand.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I'm just going to look at it as an opportunity to try out some different brands I never use.

I've got a new toy coming today to play with for a while too. Our Amana was junk.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-30-in-5-0-cu-ft-Gas-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-in-Stainless-Steel-FGGF3054MF/203521839
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 10:08:32 AM by AZ Monsoon »

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »
Someone on here posted that they saw palets of KB marked for an April 8th event at Home Depot as I recall. Might want to keep an eye out for that if it turns into something.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 02:32:10 PM »
Lowes...

Dude, relax your chicken.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »
Costco just had a good sale on K Comp but it may have ended 3/31.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
 "the misery of paying full price for charcoal in January is a pain not soon forgotten".  Mike.stavlund

You could very easily change January to April..

Last year Mikes quote rang thru my mind every time I picked up full price bags of charcoal. And this year also when Walmart ran a special on 16.7 double packs for $8.90something. I learned my lesson and I'll not run out of coal this year.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
It's about $270 for 1,000 lbs. of K if the bag price is 9.98 / 2 x20.......I've only paid full price once in the last 15 years......

Not everybody uses or can store that much, but any cubbyhole that can get filled with your favorite charcoal .....should....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »
I am down to one 2pack of KBB, about 60 pounds of lump and 100 pounds of biochar, I was hoping that the event that starts 4/8 is a good one so I xould stock up waiting for the big end of may event
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
Has anyone seen Stubb's go on sale any time? Or know of a good online source for it?

The price at Lowes has gone up to ~$9.50 for a 15lb bag:( Amazon tends to be pretty close to Lowes or up to~$158 per bag for some unknown reason.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »
I buy kingsford for 2/20# for $10 at lowes about 2/3 times a year. ( 40+ bags) I also get kingsford comp @ costco when on sale (12-20) bags a year. My supply never get below 250#

Plan ahead

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »
Has anyone seen Stubb's go on sale any time? Or know of a good online source for it?

The price at Lowes has gone up to ~$9.50 for a 15lb bag:( Amazon tends to be pretty close to Lowes or up to~$158 per bag for some unknown reason.
Nope. [emoji35]

Walmart no longer carries it in my area, so my only option is Lowe's or Home Depot.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »
Thanks for the shout-out, @MINIgrillin !  I didn't run out this winter, but that's only because of a massive slowdown in production in February and March.  Now I'm sitting on a nice stash of K-Comp (from the Costco sale that a friend shopped for me) and some KB from the recent Walmart sale.  If I can find some lump in the next month or so I will be a happy camper...  I chased down the sale some have found on Royal Oak lump at Walmart, but they didn't even sell that stuff at my store.  Hopefully BJ's will mark down the Frontier Lump this spring as they have in past years.  And I'll be keeping an eye on the upcoming Home Depot sale.
One of the charcoal people.