Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pepper Stout Beef - an easy favorite  (Read 1487 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Pepper Stout Beef - an easy favorite
« on: January 18, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »

It's good to be back. I have been so incredibly busy. I finally have work, but it's really messes up my spare time activities. ;) I started a project in September that had to be done in time for the SEMA show in November. No schedule slippage allowed. We're now in the next phase of the project. At least we don't have a hard deadline. I haven't had much time to do things on the grill, though I have fit things in here or there. Did a 20 lb standing rib roast for our Christmas dinner. (*) I watched as our daughter-in-law cut half a piece for seconds and then went back for the other half a couple minutes later. :D We'll be heading to their place tomorrow to watch our grandkids while the kids have some time for themselves. That's a win all 'round. I've also (finally!) got the Arduino project I'm developing for our grandson ready to deliver (or will by tomorrow morning.) S/W is ready to roll and I just need to finish the packaging.

best,
hank
kettles, smokers...

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Pepper Stout Beef - an easy favorite
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 03:33:48 PM »
Glad to see you posting again hank!!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 03:42:35 PM »
Welcome back Hank! Looks good!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:45:36 PM »
Woo hoo - Hank's in the house! Good to hear all the good news. Everyone seems busier. "More for less" seems to be the corporate rally cry these days. Makes the stuff we grill even tastier I say. Hope to see you (and Cindy) again at a meetup this year.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
Great to see you here AND in fine form on the cooker !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »
I was worried about you!!  Good to see you back. Missed your cooks.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 03:45:10 AM »
Good looking piece of beet!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 04:30:55 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words.

I smoked the beef in the little WSM for several hours using Stubb's briquettes and a chunk of oak, taking it to about 155°. Ordinarily I would take it a little higher but the cooker seemed to be running a little cold.  I really like the flavor that oak imparts to beef. After that it went into the Dutch oven inside. At that point all I need is heat so I bumped it up to about 300° to git 'er done. I went light on the jalapeņo so it had hardly any heat, but that will be good for the grand kids' delicate palettes. I can give mine a shot of Sriricha to liven it up a bit. Other than that, the flavor was great.

For anyone interested in trying this (and you should if you like meat!) this is a recipe I got here. http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.htm:
kettles, smokers...