Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Opinion on Galley que? Restore.  (Read 3286 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Opinion on Galley que? Restore.
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:02:42 AM »
Okay so I have my galley que and I am wondering now that I have it cleaned up and looking pretty good should I continue to work on it and make it look better?

Give me your opinion please!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Opinion on Galley que? Restore.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
Here is a link to original thread with pics of the condition I picked it up in.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/teaser/
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
Is that your thumbnail, Mikey? You may be taking this resto a bit too far...   :o ;)  ;D

Seriously, that Galley Que looks great! You've done an excellent clean up!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
IMHO, that nailpolish color is all wrong for your skin tone  ;) ;D

The Que's looking great!! Are the legs SS or plated on the Galley's? The small bit of tarnish on the legs might be something you could polish out with some steel wool. Other than that I think it looks great!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »
Is that your thumbnail, Mikey? You may be taking this resto a bit too far...   :o ;)  ;D

Seriously, that Galley Que looks great! You've done an excellent clean up!

I don't know who should be offended, me or my girlfriend.  Me for maybe having girly hands or for her hands being kinda manly or maybe me for having a girlfriend with kinda manly hands....lol.

Not offended though. That is her thumbnail painted with a nail polish she has and it matches really well. Thing is I picked up a bottle of it cause I guess it is a limited release or some crap like that. My plans are to fill in the chips with some extreme high heat engine epoxy good for 2400°F then cover that with high heat primer and then have a custom engine enamel paint mixed to match the nail polish color cause they can do that( I restored a 1972 Chevelle years ago for a girl and we used her 3 favorite nail polish colors for the whole project). But I only want to do the really big chips and scrapes. Little ones leave them. There are quite a few bare metal spots on this little gem.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »
IMHO, that nailpolish color is all wrong for your skin tone  ;) ;D

The Que's looking great!! Are the legs SS or plated on the Galley's? The small bit of tarnish on the legs might be something you could polish out with some steel wool. Other than that I think it looks great!

The tarnish on the legs is in there good they have been cleaned over and over and even been ran on the buffer wheel. Those spots that remain are deep gouges from pliers someone used at one point to loosen the legs and now have rusted a bit.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:07:45 AM »
You know my opinion Michael, but here it is again for everyone:

Having seen this thing in person, it is incredible.  By far the coolest kettle I have ever laid my hands on.  Not even close.

Also, I saw Mikey's nail polish in person with the kettle.  It is frankly a better match than any other color match on any kettle I have seen. It is spot on.

That being said ....

I would leave it as is, and not continue restoring.   I know this is not a cooker, and you do not plan on cooking on it .. but ... what if you wanted to?  And, IMO, every Weber should be ready to be called in to action when needed.

You have done an incredible job cleaning this up.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »
I would leave it as is, and not continue restoring.

Agreed. Maybe additional cleaning/polishing (white glove under the vent), but it's looking good.
Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »
"Thing is I picked up a bottle of it cause I guess it is a limited release or some crap like that."

Got yer man card back..................... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
You know my opinion Michael, but here it is again for everyone:

Having seen this thing in person, it is incredible.  By far the coolest kettle I have ever laid my hands on.  Not even close.

Also, I saw Mikey's nail polish in person with the kettle.  It is frankly a better match than any other color match on any kettle I have seen. It is spot on.

That being said ....

I would leave it as is, and not continue restoring.   I know this is not a cooker, and you do not plan on cooking on it .. but ... what if you wanted to?  And, IMO, every Weber should be ready to be called in to action when needed.

You have done an incredible job cleaning this up.

I do have plans to cook a couple times a year on this.

Agreed. Maybe additional cleaning/polishing (white glove under the vent), but it's looking good.

The black you see under the lid vent are actually scratches down to the black base porcelain.  I scrub and picked at these spots for hours and got all the built up carbon and gunk out of there. Up close this little gem has lots of tiny scars that show up from the twenty plus years the previous owner used it on a weekly basis without cleaning it.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
Quote from: AZ_MIKEY
I do have plans to cook a couple times a year on this.

I know you know what you are doing, but I would caution against any painting then.  It just does not seem to end well....... almost ever.

Quote from: AZ_MIKEY
The black you see under the lid vent are actually scratches down to the black base porcelain.  I scrub and picked at these spots for hours and got all the built up carbon and gunk out of there. Up close this little gem has lots of tiny scars that show up from the twenty plus years the previous owner used it on a weekly basis without cleaning it.

I can vouch for this.  There really is nothing left to "clean".  Seriously.  For example, that ash catcher is really great looking, but so thin from corrosion that more cleaning is liable to damage it.  Side note, everyone would get a kick out of the old school one touch system that these employed.  Pretty Cool set up.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »
There really is nothing left to "clean".  Seriously.

Then, we're done.

Let's get Q'in.
Dude, relax your chicken.

truckertrash

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »
Wow she really came out nice! That ash catcher was black! Since ya asked for an opinion im gonna say no paint. The idea of painting just seems artificial. But thats just my humble opinion. The damn thing looks beautiful as she sits!!  :D

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 09:20:58 AM »
No paint especially if u are EVER gonna cook on it. It's battle scars from 40 years of life.

No Botox, no cover girl cover-up, maybeline nail polish for this kettle, those chips are beauty marks. Love them. Appreciate it's life on the high sea's cooking slabs of yellow fin tuna, red snapper, and live FL lobsters for Captain Jack or Ron or whoever. Now go have yourself a rum, have your GF shiver your timber with those delicate hands, and check out this thread again before reporting back. That's a order matey, and we won't take no for an answer!

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/14/taking-better-pictures-of-your-grills-camera-phone-edition/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:22:48 AM by kaz »
#grubdubs

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
Lol excellent post kaz  ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E