Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SJP/ Old style JJ airflow issues.  (Read 3076 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
SJP/ Old style JJ airflow issues.
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:40:01 AM »
Ok I'm not the first person to mention this, but last night was pizza night and I decided to use the black SJP and do my usual elevated grate and stone method. Works like a charm on my Easterner and my coke JJ... Well let's just say I had to finish the pizzas in the oven, the bottom cooked fine but the top was ice cold. Did I mention that I ended up finishing them in the oven!?! They were oven bland >:(

So I'm tempted to add daisy wheels to the SJP. Has anyone that has done that mod noticed any improvement in inside temp and airflow?

Kicking myself for not using one of my red 18's. The Coke JJ has the One Touch system.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:41:41 AM by Craig »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: SJP/ Old style JJ airflow issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »
Someone has this mod! I remember a new member posting up a family pic of a bunch of black webers on the porch and the SJP had a wsm style bowl vent on it. I can't recall who though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:43:41 AM »
Thus, is why I traded mine. I would attempt to add a 18" WSM vent kit to it. Flow is terrible IMO.
With a stone on the grate, there is know way to get air to the fuel below.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:18 AM »
Someone has this mod! I remember a new member posting up a family pic of a bunch of black webers on the porch and the SJP had a wsm style bowl vent on it. I can't recall who though.

Thanks Lawrence for the reminder.... I did some digging and found the picture. This is not mine, this was posted originally by Member HalfGrilled. I hope it's ok that I borrowed your family portrait. Those are some sweet black cookers BTW. The JJ mod that I'm thinking is something like this. Halfgrilled what kind of ash pan is that? Please tell us more about it. 

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
Still learning here.  The SJP is the old "Jumbo Joe" but had those little round cutouts on the side for vents, right?  They don't work?  Good to know.  So the SJP vent systems doesn't work that well and the new JJ looks funny and has bolt on hardware.  Is there a version of JJ/SJP that works well? 
WTB 18 fruit

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
Still learning here.  The SJP is the old "Jumbo Joe" but had those little round cutouts on the side for vents, right?  They don't work?  Good to know.  So the SJP vent systems doesn't work that well and the new JJ looks funny and has bolt on hardware.  Is there a version of JJ/SJP that works well?

This is correct. The side vents don't feed the air as well as bottom vents. The best of both worlds in size and portability is a 18.5" OT with cut legs:

A bunch of members have something similar

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »

This is correct. The side vents don't feed the air as well as bottom vents. The best of both worlds in size and portability is a 18.5" OT with cut legs:

A bunch of members have something similar

Here's another..

and another. Just in case I want to use my Easterner as a mini traveler or a fireplace cooker....

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »
I was always worried about air flow in my JJ, but it works great for roasting potatoes and other stuff on the grate, but I can see how the side vents in combination with a stone would be detrimental.  Looking forward to hearing from HalfGrilled and Craig on this mod. 
One of the charcoal people.

HalfGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
Those are my grills and I don't mind the reposting at all. I can't take credit for the mods. It was modded by McGolden, another member here. I bought it from him when he was clearing space.  I had contracted weberitis in 2010 and was fascinated by the discontinued JJs but everything I read warned of airflow issues with the unusual venting. When this one popped up on CL I knew I had to have it.  It has great airflow. I've used it for everything from high heat grilling to long smokes with a proQ stacker. It cooks wonderfully. The pan appears to be an aluminum pizza pan  with the legs bolted to it instead of the bottom of the kettle. Not much ash drops from the vents so it is s much of a heat shield as a ash pan. I guess my advice would  be place the vents low enough to get good airflow but high enough to avoid clogging with ash. McGolden did a great job and it looks nearly original.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
Ok, now I need an 18 redhead.  That sounds perverse but legal.  I really should take a break from this site.
WTB 18 fruit

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »
Ok, now I need an 18 redhead.  That sounds perverse but legal.  I really should take a break from this site.

Today is your lucky day! My has been for trade. Find me an 18.5" OTS silver (black is fine at this point, I'm sick of waiting) and it's yours.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/wtb-colored-18-5'-possible-trade-for-my-18-5'-red/

I have the tall legs too or we can do a swap.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »

Salad-
My daughter just walked in the room wondering why "Daddy" is laughing so hard at this computer that he has tears running down his eyes.

How do I answer????   LOL
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Hey, if there's one thing I'm good for, it's a laugh!
WTB 18 fruit