Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Logo Kettle Purchase  (Read 5094 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: First Logo Kettle Purchase
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 05:56:40 AM »
Yeah Greg, that is exactly what I am thinking.  the daisy wheel bar b q kettles had black triangles, but the OTs did not.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 06:04:52 AM »

Just an observation on this type stuff.............

In a manufacturing warehouse, a place like Weber, there's most likely a huge abundance of "spare parts"...........makes sense to me that for a 'special run' of something like the Orig post & the others mentioned, that they may end up "making up kettles"............in other words, WSM replacement vents, oddly coated triangles (was this a request by Schmidt Brewery, or something Weber thought might look nice at the time, or something left over from another 'special project' ?)

It's Red, fairly common for awhile ago, BUT daisy wheel, perhaps at that point beginning to take a back seat to the new & improved One Touch...............

Were the black triangles something they were testing out, a coating to prevent what's one of the problematic things about kettles: the regular ones ALWAYS rust at some point.......and maybe they had a bunch of 'testers' hangin' around, needing to be used for something?

The older Bar-B-Kettles didn't come w/ coated triangles, just after the OT system was brought forth, correct?

Kettle itself could maybe qualify as "spare parts" in the case of making stuff up for specific promotions?

Or, maybe I'm just makin' shit up......... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »
"Or, maybe I'm just makin' shit up.........  8)"

I don't think so. My experience so far, the older triangles clean up way better than the new ones. The black triangle has some type of coating, not porcelain though. No rust at all on mine, also the wheels are old school with no white wall.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »
i can confirm, i got a '95 (EO) redhead daisywheeler and it does have the Black Triangle. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »

I don't think so. My experience so far, the older triangles clean up way better than the new ones. The black triangle has some type of coating, not porcelain though. No rust at all on mine, also the wheels are old school with no white wall.

I think ( no actual proof, but people could check their new & old kettles & see what they think ) the older ones were a good, heavy chrome ......the newer are nickel plated, like the newer grates ?

I'd guess the coated ones would be some kind of plasticized paint......I have a few new ones....I'll look closer.......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 07:52:17 AM »

Just an observation on this type stuff.............

In a manufacturing warehouse, a place like Weber, there's most likely a huge abundance of "spare parts"...........makes sense to me that for a 'special run' of something like the Orig post & the others mentioned, that they may end up "making up kettles"............in other words, WSM replacement vents, oddly coated triangles (was this a request by Schmidt Brewery, or something Weber thought might look nice at the time, or something left over from another 'special project' ?)

It's Red, fairly common for awhile ago, BUT daisy wheel, perhaps at that point beginning to take a back seat to the new & improved One Touch...............

Were the black triangles something they were testing out, a coating to prevent what's one of the problematic things about kettles: the regular ones ALWAYS rust at some point.......and maybe they had a bunch of 'testers' hangin' around, needing to be used for something?

The older Bar-B-Kettles didn't come w/ coated triangles, just after the OT system was brought forth, correct?

Kettle itself could maybe qualify as "spare parts" in the case of making stuff up for specific promotions?

Or, maybe I'm just makin' shit up......... 8)

PS: Sometimes I get a headache from trying to figure out Weber.....that ever happen to anybody?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 08:16:12 AM »

I think ( no actual proof, but people could check their new & old kettles & see what they think ) the older ones were a good, heavy chrome ......the newer are nickel plated, like the newer grates ?

I'd guess the coated ones would be some kind of plasticized paint......I have a few new ones....I'll look closer.......

Not sure about the triangles. In my limited experience, the triangle my original old '78 22" cleaned up real nice. The triangle on my even older 18" 'cado I picked up has rust I can't get off.

Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 09:20:12 AM »

From the ones I have ( a lot of beaters & a few good ones) past a certain point it doesn't matter chrome, nickel, etc will come off & expose the metal under it & make it into hard work...........

In a way, it might have been nice to coat all of them from way back?

Some of them are best just painted, I suppose.................

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »
Have we started a thread yet with just logo'd kettles?
I think it would be cool if we had a thread with just kettles with logos
Love them or hate them there out there and there seems to be a lot of them
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »
black triangles only on the "mini ranch" with no internal bars just external  here in OZ
really never seen black triangles
maybe because i dont look at anything new
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 11:58:50 PM »
black triangles only on the "mini ranch" with no internal bars just external  here in OZ
really never seen black triangles
maybe because i dont look at anything new
What about that Magners Cider OTS you picked up ?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 01:12:40 AM »
this fella

oops forgot about that one :o ??? ::)

has there really been that many

did you keep tagging the flippers?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:15:14 AM by Golly »
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 01:35:50 AM »
No but I will this Summer
                            WKC Collaborator