Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: help in deciding to buy the Weber Summit Charcoal or Kamado Big Joe this month  (Read 5238 times)

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Not sure if this will really help with your decision, but it's a good video from a guy who has both:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244521
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Oh and a 22" SnS would work in a summit wouldnt it? I guess I don't know the measurements, or what the sumit is like on the inside, but I would think it would work

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
I don’t own either of these cookers but I have a lot of Kettles. In my opinion, you don’t need a Kamado style cooker for a rotisserie attachment. The few times I’ve used one on a kettle it was always up to the task.

As far as Kamado style cookers in general, I personally don’t get it. I think a 26” Weber Kettle can do anything those other cookers can do. If I really wanted to blow over $1000 on a grill it would be the Weber. I researched BGE before Kettles and read a lot about the ceramic cookers cracking inside and out. That would really suck after dropping all that cash.

From reading your post, it sounds like you are just now moving over to charcoal cooking from gas. Good for you! My advice is to start on a kettle. Learn 2 zone fire management, learn snake method low and slow, get a rotisserie for a kettle and see how you like the results, learn temp control in general with charcoal, learn direct grilling with charcoal and how it is different than gas with flavorizer bars. After all that, if you are versatile and good with a kettle and really need to scratch that itch then get a Kamado cooker.

You can save a lot of money buying a 26 with accessories and spend it on quality meat and a shit ton of charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
I own a Kamado Joe and cart:

In the summer, it was my daily driver until I was gifted my late uncle’s nearly new Performer:

Before I got the Performer, I didn’t “get” the big deal about the propane assist, but now I LOVE it.  That being said, I can certainly see the appeal of the Summit on the cart as it approximates the Kamado experience with the ease of gas ignition.  Personally, I too am trying to decide on it versus a Big Joe for my next purchase.

I’ve been cooking on kettles for 35+ years and to be honest, the weight of the Joe doesn’t bother me anymore; my only dig against it is the price for the size...if the Big Joe was the price of the Classic, I’d be all over it.  Thing is, I have a similar gripe about the Summit; both are overpriced by $300-500.  I just happened to get a SMOKIN’ deal on my Joe; $579 NIB and delivered.  But even that is a bit high for a casual user.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Personally if I were going to drop some serious cash I would look at the non cart version of the Summit.  Yeah the carts are nice, but if you have the kinda cash where you can just buy $1,500 grills you can also probably afford to make your own kitchen space and wheel it into a spot with counters on either side. Plus, it will be easier to move and store when not in use.  I originally thought the cart would be awesome too, but I can't justify it for the price bump unless it is just super close.

The slow n sear 2.0 I don't believe will work with the Summit due to clearance issues.  It would probably need to be modified.  I like the slow n sear,  but I wouldn't let that keep me from a Summit.  Plenty of people have bought stainless steel and made their own charcoal rings and baskets.

I would then take the cash I saved on going  with the non cart summit and spend it on a 22 or 26er.  The 26er will give you more space, but the 22 will give you tons of options with roti and etc.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Sergdman

• Smokey Joe
Oh and a 22" SnS would work in a summit wouldnt it? I guess I don't know the measurements, or what the sumit is like on the inside, but I would think it would work

No I checked. They discontinued the one for the WSC.

Sergdman

• Smokey Joe
Not sure if this will really help with your decision, but it's a good video from a guy who has both:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244521
Thanks for the help

Sergdman

• Smokey Joe
I don’t own either of these cookers but I have a lot of Kettles. In my opinion, you don’t need a Kamado style cooker for a rotisserie attachment. The few times I’ve used one on a kettle it was always up to the task.

As far as Kamado style cookers in general, I personally don’t get it. I think a 26” Weber Kettle can do anything those other cookers can do. If I really wanted to blow over $1000 on a grill it would be the Weber. I researched BGE before Kettles and read a lot about the ceramic cookers cracking inside and out. That would really suck after dropping all that cash.

From reading your post, it sounds like you are just now moving over to charcoal cooking from gas. Good for you! My advice is to start on a kettle. Learn 2 zone fire management, learn snake method low and slow, get a rotisserie for a kettle and see how you like the results, learn temp control in general with charcoal, learn direct grilling with charcoal and how it is different than gas with flavorizer bars. After all that, if you are versatile and good with a kettle and really need to scratch that itch then get a Kamado cooker.

You can save a lot of money buying a 26 with accessories and spend it on quality meat and a shit ton of charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. It’s not just for rotisserie, but all the other ease advantages of the Kamado for the other styles of cooking.   Yes, fragility is a little scary. You have a good point though. It would be a challenge and maybe some fun learning all the methods on a regular Keddle.  I guess I’m thinking to buy the best of the best if going with the Weber. 

Sergdman

• Smokey Joe
Personally if I were going to drop some serious cash I would look at the non cart version of the Summit.  Yeah the carts are nice, but if you have the kinda cash where you can just buy $1,500 grills you can also probably afford to make your own kitchen space and wheel it into a spot with counters on either side. Plus, it will be easier to move and store when not in use.  I originally thought the cart would be awesome too, but I can't justify it for the price bump unless it is just super close.

The slow n sear 2.0 I don't believe will work with the Summit due to clearance issues.  It would probably need to be modified.  I like the slow n sear,  but I wouldn't let that keep me from a Summit.  Plenty of people have bought stainless steel and made their own charcoal rings and baskets.

I would then take the cash I saved on going  with the non cart summit and spend it on a 22 or 26er.  The 26er will give you more space, but the 22 will give you tons of options with roti and etc.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thanks. Again good points on going with the kettles but like I said, get the best of the best.  At this point the price I’m getttinf the WSC is the price of the non cart version.  Just keep watching videos on the KJ innovations and improvements to make it a great cooker.  Saw some great pizza videos last night. The napoleons pizzas at 900 degrees.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Hi there - I realize I'm late to the party, but I looked into buying a Kamado Big Joe 2 this fall, and I just couldn't pull the trigger because of the price point.  I've owned Weber 22" kettles for 20+ years, and they've always performed consistently for me year-in and year-out, no matter the weather (I actually enjoy grilling in the winter). I love the way the KBJ looks, and it certainly appears to be a well-made product with lots of attachments available. The price point will always be an issue for me, BUT.... if I was able to spend $1,500+, I would go with the KBJ2 because it's got the well-known ceramic heat retention (perfect for slow cooks in the winter), it's larger than the 18", and the KJ brand has useful features that will make the cooking experience better (i.e. the lid counterweight, the covered top vent that doesn't move when you open the lid, better gasket, etc.). Plus the red just looks so dang cool.  Good luck!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
I’ve got a BGE, SSPs, 18 & 22 WSMs.

Whenever someone asks me if they should get a Ceramic (which I will recommend over the summit, the mass wins for me) I always say spend the same money or less on a Performer and a 22” WSM. Better grill and a better smoker. Double the smoking capacity and concurrent grilling. For the $1500 I think you could get a new performer, new 22” WSM, new Cajun Bandit door and Cajun bandit SS rotisserie that would fit both the performer and the WSM.