Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex And the Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate  (Read 937 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Vortex And the Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate
« on: May 29, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
I just bought the Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate.  I also have a medium vortex and a large vortex.  I bought the large vortex by mistake, thinking that it would fit my 22" kettle -- the cooking grate sits on top of the vortex.  With the new cooking grate, the large vortex sits right in the middle -- problem solved.  Or is it?  Is the medium vortex better suited for the 22" kettle?  Since either one fits using the new cooking grate, does it really make a difference?  Thanks for your guidance.  :)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex And the Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:50:20 AM »
The large will hold more coals, hotter cook,
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
I use the medium on my 26er.  Very happy ! ! ! 

The only advantage would be what @JEBIV said.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:05:50 AM »
I use the medium in my 22"ers, along with a SToK cast iron grate, center removed.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:38:18 AM »
Would the large vortex, if the cone is higher than the grate, adversely affect the grate temp? Or does it not matter since the idea is the heat goes up from the vortex then gets reflected back down to the grate by the lid?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »
I started a Vortex comparison sheet a couple of years ago, but abandoned the project.
I still have some of the data, but not much.
A small Vortex held 80 briquettes, a medium held 110 briquettes, and the large held 124. In comparison, a large Weber Chimney held 100.
 I don't remember what brand, but I think that the briquettes were Kingsord Competition.
I regularly use a GBS grate with my Vortex, but I haven't tried the large size yet. I think that I will try it and see if it gets any hotter.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC