Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: molasses/agave salmon  (Read 1652 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
molasses/agave salmon
« on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
I like to buy those bags of individually wrapped, frozen salmon fillets. It's a decent way to get wild caught, not farm raised, and hey they're already cut for you.

Better for a quick weeknight cook, than spending $20-$35 or more? on a "full packer" (so to speak) and then worrying if it'll cook evenly and then having to freeze? the leftover part.

I mixed blackstrap molasses with agave and Weber New Orleans spice. And then spooned it (globbed it ...) onto the meat right before grilling. I used 2 charcoal baskets running full open, for however long it took for the rice to finish, about 20-30 minutes. Could have pulled if off sooner than that, but it was forgiving. Oh, and I often use the local apple tree's pieces for smoke wood. Worked especially nice for this fish.

So that's the molasses making it look burned or over-smoked. Neither happened. This experiment was a success, with the "malty" from the molasses blending well with the sugar infusion from the agave. I used a fair amount of the Weber spice but have no clue what it did. Surely something. There was no noticeable "Cajun kick" to the fish despite the red pepper in the seasoning.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: molasses/agave salmon
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:43 PM »
That looks delicious! Sounds simple too

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
It was ridiculously simple. Put it on the machine, skin down, walk away.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »
I need to learn more low maintenance cooks like this. When you say 2 baskets, is that one on each side and the fish in the middle? Where do you position the lid vent?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:48:24 AM »
Funny I cooked salmon yesterday as well, on the Smokey Joe- Half a chimney of coals on one side , olive oil, salt, pepper, little red pepper flakes.  Cook offset.  Really really hard to mess it up.  Russet potato microwaved for 6 minutes coated with peanut oil and some coarse salt and placed along side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCj1sQzjO6E

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
Looks very good, I like your flavor profile with the molasses and agave. I agree that doing Salmon is low maintenance cook, great for weekday cooks when time may be limited
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:20 AM »
I need to learn more low maintenance cooks like this. When you say 2 baskets, is that one on each side and the fish in the middle? Where do you position the lid vent?

@Firemunkee I could have positioned them as you say, but lately I'm in the habit of positioning them over to one side, often in a "vee" shape. Why? I don't know. I should really get a Slow 'n Sear someday if I keep that up.

I always position the lid vent over the food being cooked. That forces at least a little more convection circulation over and around the food. I also feel that if you ever positioned the lid vent directly over the coals, you'd waste more heat through direct loss.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:41 AM »
Cap'n, that fish looks fantastic.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 06:16:26 AM »

@Firemunkee I could have positioned them as you say, but lately I'm in the habit of positioning them over to one side, often in a "vee" shape. Why? I don't know. I should really get a Slow 'n Sear someday if I keep that up.

I always position the lid vent over the food being cooked. That forces at least a little more convection circulation over and around the food. I also feel that if you ever positioned the lid vent directly over the coals, you'd waste more heat through direct loss.

Thanks for sharing. I know to position the lid vent over the food but wasn't sure how that would be accomplished because I was assuming baskets on each side and if the food is the middle of the grate I wasn't sure how to put the lid vent over the food since the lid vent isn't in the middle of the lid. Now it makes sense. Thanks for sharing the wealth!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:55:57 AM »
Not a problem with split baskets, either! Just turn the lid until the vent is not over either basket, yeah?

(It would still be over at least some of the food.)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:46:28 PM »
Looks great!  I do mine skin on and direct. It’s been awhile. I need some salmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »
OK direct-man, I may just try that next time. Only a few minutes that way I'm guessing, or were you not referring to coals piled high like when in a basket?

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 06:23:26 AM »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.