Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1960s brown Offset handle Smokey Joe w/3 wooden legs b&w speckled interior  (Read 2612 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Finally got approved for picture hosting, but have to figure out how to use it.  Just noticed I can add pictures, so they are added at the end. 

Since this is one of the SJs that had wooden legs, I'm going to call it the PEGLEG or maybe the PIRATE

Stopped by a garage sale on Friday & noticed this Smokey Joe.  Bought a similar one a couple years back that was still in a box (although box isn't pretty).  That one had the 3 legs made from some sort of bar stock that had loops at the end as feet and a triangle (also from some sort of bar stock) that goes through each of the loops of the legs.  (It's still in the box, but the box is open). 

I always liked Webers & thought these old ones were cool looking.  The guy I bought it from said it had been sitting on a shelf forever in his garage (he was the original owner of the house when Harlem Ave was still 2 lanes and gravel where he lives in Niles, IL).  He mentioned he NEVER USED it & it was pretty darn clean, including the grate, so I think that is likely.  Although clean, it was not like he just cleaned it, there was some spidey webs on the legs and a bit of dust on the inside.  The charcoal grate has some rust. along with the thumb screw nuts & washers that hold the legs on. 

Here's a couple quick pics UNCLEANED as purchased (although I removed the price tag, which removed a bit of the finish on the wood offset handle, any suggestions of that?).

Any suggestions for fixing where the price tag took a bit of the finish off the wood handle?

I love the speckling and wish it was on the outside instead of the inside.

It included 10 small bags of Pine Mountain instant light charcoal things that he said had sitting around for maybe 10 years, or so. Since these bags were produced, Pine Mountain was acquired by Royal Oak according to Mr. Google.

I'm not certain whether or not he knew it was a Weber, but he did charge me half the price of a brand spanking new Smokey Joe at Home Depot.  I tried negotiating for a lower price, but he would have none of that, even when I said how about without the instant light charcoal?  Although it was only half the price of a new one at Home Depot, it was more than the similar one that I bought a couple years ago that is still in the box (which has still never been put together).  I'll get some pics of that too, when I figure out where I put it. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:14:22 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Do any of the bottom or top vents have anything stamped into them that is the first Smokey Joe I’ve seen with wooden legs very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Awesome find!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Northwestkettle,
The top did not, I'll have to look at the bottom vents tomorrow. 
I never thought about it, but maybe the wood legs are because someone lost the original legs.  I'll take a closer look at them tomorrow.  It does seem kind of stupid to have wood legs when there is a fire going. 
The history writeup here http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-smokey-joe-history/ doesn't mention any having wooden legs, so it may have been something where the original legs were lost.
However, I swear I saw a reference to wood legs somewhere online.  I'll search again.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Northwestkettle,
There is another brown one on Weber's website with legs like mine (also one with what looks like a speckled outside)
https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/the-history-of-the-smokey-joe

I knew I saw it, or read about it, somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:27:19 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I nearly shit, when I did a search and found this similar one that sold for over $300. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NOS-WEBER-STEPHEN-SMOKEY-JOE-OFFSET-HANDLE-CHARCOAL-GRILL-UNUSED-BROWN-/142475476741?hash=item212c333f05%3Ag%3AHpcAAOSwtTVZkLQJ&nma=true&si=WQyqt9jKACab%252BOcB%252FA6EKfJkfEE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It has the metal legs that a metal triangle goes through (like the other one I have that is also in new in a ratty box).  I believe that one I have is also brown.  I'm guessing my peg-leg is rarer as you see quite a few pics of the one with the metal legs with triangle, but the only pic I've found of another peg-leg is on Weber's site. 

I'm debating whether to sell them & pick up some other Webers, but they are pretty cool. 
regards,
Hal

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Sweet find!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Troy

• Statesman
Nice find!! That's a rare old joe!
@Craig

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
[emoji106]🏾[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
Wow, very nice!!

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Re: 1960s brown Offset handle Smokey Joe w/3 wooden legs b&w speckled interior
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 05:32:57 AM »
Awesome! Two rare SJs in one week!  Sweet pick up!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 05:44:43 AM »

They are nice and also unique
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:26 AM »
Might have to get this to store/display some Smokey Joes
https://racine.craigslist.org/grd/d/weber-ranch-kettle-375-in/6336352845.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »
Today, I drove past the house where I bought this brown Offset handle Smokey Joe on Friday.

Later, I started thinking that since he never used it AND he included 10 little bags of the instant light charcoal that he thinks was sitting around for 10 years or so, the coals MIGHT have been for a size Weber in the back yard.  If he has one, I'm guessing he doesn't want it anymore because he gave away the coals. 

I'm going to drive by, see what I can spy from the street, look if there is an alley, and then stop by, knock on their door & ask if I see something or can't get a decent look. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:07:36 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:43 PM »
Cool, I've never seen a wooden peg leg up close. Nice find, congratulations.
May The Smoke Be With You!