Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal grate stability issue  (Read 671 times)

foobacon

• Happy Cooker
Charcoal grate stability issue
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Is there a preferred way to stabilize a kettle's lower, charcoal grate? Perhaps by bending the tabs--if that's the correct term--welded inside the bowl?

My lower charcoal grate is not as stable as I'd like. There's so much "play" that it, in turn, affects the stability of my Slow 'N Sear when setting up for a cook. I try to tuck the Slow N' Sear flush against the bowl, but sometimes this action causes the lower grate to slide or even fall off one or two tabs.

I recognize that the grate isn't designed to be moved around constantly, but am simply trying to prevent it from moving so much and stabilize my setup.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Charcoal grate stability issue
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
I would never bend the tabs!!
I think this would just crack off the enamel and lead to rust!
When I get a lower grate that wobbles I set it on the cement drive way and step on it to bend it flat. And then tweak it ( 2-3rd bending )with a shim of thin wood under the high spot, or what ever you have handy to take the spring out of it that can't be stepped flat.
Or just buy a new one if it's fubar from high heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:13:12 AM by vwengguy »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal grate stability issue
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
I don't have a sns but if I did and the weight of it was causing the grate to slip, I would think a counter weight like a brick opposite the sns would be all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Charcoal grate stability issue
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:55:34 AM »
The grate will move around some......so.....get a second charcoal grate to sit on-top of the first one but canted off a little. Don't have a second charcoal grate?.......Buy a second Kettle.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"