Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dazed and Confused, help please.  (Read 3787 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Dazed and Confused, help please.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 05:18:01 AM »
I used to not notice the offensive kbb smell on initial heating but started noticing it within the last year or so. I'm not sure if my nose smell receptors are changing, if I'm just becoming a more seasoned cook, or something has changed with the charcoal. Imo the only redeeming factors for kbb is that it's cheap (especially on sale) and performers consistently. I've never started kbb and said "that smells pretty good" as it's burning, and it produces a lot of heavy ash. Other charcoal on the other hand burns with a much better aroma.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 05:51:59 AM »
Short version
STUBBS is good chit.  Stock up when you can   8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 07:29:27 AM »
I don't hate KBB, as matter of fact, I use it a lot. It works just fine if I wait for the "bad smoke" to burn off. I now see it doesn't bother some people but for me the taste it leaves is unbearable.
May The Smoke Be With You!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
What's the verdict on Stubbs?  I am finishing off my last couple of bags of KBB I bought bulk the last sale and see Stubbs is on sale this weekend at Lowes.
As a general rule, I have found that anything with the Stubbs label is of very high quality.
His briquettes included.

Have some burning as I type....

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »
Everyone loves that KBB bbq smell!!!!  Thats when you know its summer and mouths are about to water.
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past but I could not find a lot on the subject. I believe most of us agree KBB produces a bad smelling white smoke when lit. Why and what is that? Does this phenomenon only happen with KBB?  Because of this bad smoke I always wait until the charcoal is fully ashed over before starting to a cook or even adding to a cook.  It is a hassle having to load and wait for the chimney every time I need to add fuel, it would be much easier to just throw some charcoal on top. I've noticed that some do use KBB with a snake or minion and do not complain about a bad taste in their food.  How is this possible? The one time I added unlit KBB to a cook it completely ruined the taste for me.  Is there something magical that happens with the snake method that doesn’t occur when just adding to a lit pile?  Am I doing something wrong or is it all in my head?

@JDD
Something you can try out....

Load in some UN-lit (like one deep, in a crescent shape) then add in your fully lit chimney of coals.....a lot shorter wait for any burn off & sort of, the benefit of the pre-heat that comes from the chain / snake way of doing things..........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Like I mentioned previously, I use KBB a lot and I’m not dissing it or criticizing anybody for using it. As a matter of fact, I will be using it tonight.

It seems some do not even notice the “bad smoke” or even believe it exists while others notice it and say it does not affect the taste of their food. Some notice it but do not mind it. I’m guessing this is because everybody’s taste buds are different, which would explain. Personally I can definitely taste a distinct flavor given to the food from adding unlit KBB to a cook.  I have been to cook outs where someone started to cook long before the KBB was fully ashed over and could taste it.

Now I’m curious about how many of us do not even notice an odor and of the ones that do how many can taste it in the food when NOT allowing it burn off?
May The Smoke Be With You!