Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling Projects.  (Read 2984 times)

Spinarri

• Smokey Joe
    • www.spinarri.com
Grilling Projects.
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:35:53 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,

Some of my favorite threads here are about experimenting and trying new things along with home made modifications to the grills.  It is probably because I’m a tinkerer at heart. There is always a puzzle to be solved or something to be made. That is how I got into making AutoSkewers.  I love chicken drumsticks and wanted a great way to BBQ them.

I started in the garage with hand tools. But, making the jump from saws, snips, drills and files to laser cutting really progressed my tinkering to a product that I ship all over the world.

It was an expensive jump for me laser cutting those first few parts from stainless steel.

Now my regular laser cutting production runs cost thousands of dollars, but it is relative inexpensive to cut a few prototype parts when piggybacked into a production run.

PM me if you ever would like help on a project.  While I can’t promise I can cut every request, I will do my best to help you out in your projects. 

Here is a kickstarter link kck.st/1DftIoK to my latest project putting those chicken drumsticks I love on charcoal.

Thanks for taking a look and keep working hard on your own projects, whether they are grilling related or not.

Best Regards,

Ettore

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work. - Aristotle

Disclosure : I’ve made a small donation towards the forum expenses in appreciation of the work it takes to up keep this site.
Ettore Spinarri

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilling Projects.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
Hello @Spinarri
I admire your work and ingenuity. I enjoy grill projects and figuring out how to do thing too, may be as much as cooking. Unfortunately, I’m not as skilled as you are. I don’t have any heavy-duty equipments, nor I know how to cut metal or weld. I just use things available in the hardware store and put them together the best way I know how.

I’m looking for a rack like this to fit on my 48’x30” grill. I don’t need a rotisserie for this function, just the bars to rest the skewers on with multi levels.

Here is the grill

Also as you see in the above pictures, each large skewer carries 4 other thinner skewers. I was able to achieve that by using stainless steel round plates which I punched 4 holes in each. I would love to have a cross (+) shaped piece of metal to carry these for skewers. Is that something you can cut?
It would look like this

Also I would like to make a hood for the same grill. In the picture below I used auto drip pans to for somewhat of a hood and would like something permanent made

I also I’m looking for round pieces to go on the large skewers for shawarma like these

I made mine again with SS plates, but they weren’t as good

Let me know if any of these projects are doable and I can give you exact measurements.
Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:44:53 PM by BBcue-Z »

Spinarri

• Smokey Joe
    • www.spinarri.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
Hi @BBcue-Z,

Thank you for the kind words and sharing what your up to.  You are only seeing my products as they sit now though.  What you can't see is the huge pile behind the shop of the ones that did not make it along the way. Those are the Frankensteins and it is called the Frankenstein pile because every now and again you need go grab a part or piece for the next little monster you are working on.

It looks like you forgot some "Yet"s in your post. I added them for you in red.

... I enjoy grill projects and figuring out how to do thing too, may be as much as cooking. Unfortunately, I’m not as skilled as you are YET . I don’t have any heavy-duty equipments YET, nor I know how to cut metal or weld YET . I just use things available in the hardware store and put them together the best way I know how.

I'm self taught on pretty much everything. We live in an amazing time, the Internet gives us access to learn almost anything.

Tenacity is the primary skill you need and from your pictures I see you have it. Good job and thanks again for sharing.

Sure,  I'll give you a hand working on your grill. 

Because this is the first one, give me a day or so to study your pictures during my coffee break and come up with a format on how to proceed.

Have a great evening.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:10:56 PM by Spinarri »
Ettore Spinarri

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:27:28 PM »
"I’m looking for a rack like this to fit on my 48’x30” grill". 48', that is the monster of all grills. @BBcue-Z , we need some pictures of that MONSTER.

Spinarri

• Smokey Joe
    • www.spinarri.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 11:55:03 AM »
@BBcue-Z  -  I’m looking for a rack like this to fit on my 48’x30” grill.

If I needed a rack and I had limited tools, I’d use 1/2” black pipe from home depot to construct it. http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Black-Pipe-Fittings/N-5yc1vZbqn5
They will even cut and tread the custom lengths if you can’t make due with standard ones. There’s T’s, caps, and bases. You will only need a pipe wrench.

The next step up would be the standard metal angle iron you are using for your hood. harbourfrieght.com always has a 20% off coupon for those on a budget and needing a metal chop saw.

I can’t tell if the pic is stainless, aluminum or steel from the picture.

To make one like the picture. The most economical would be thin wall square steel tubing. You can get it delivered from http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx ... look for an online coupon too.

Now you can bolt, pop rivet or weld it togeather. 

Let me know what way you are leaning and we can dial in the approach.
Ettore Spinarri

Spinarri

• Smokey Joe
    • www.spinarri.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
@BBcue-Z 

-  I would love to have a cross (+) shaped piece of metal to carry these for skewers. Is that something you can cut?

-  I also I’m looking for round pieces to go on the large skewers for shawarma like these

Email me the dimensions you are thinking about.

-  Also I would like to make a hood for the same grill. In the picture below I used auto drip pans to for somewhat of a hood and would like something permanent made

The size here is a bit of logistic issue, lets tackle the others first then return to it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:02:50 PM by Spinarri »
Ettore Spinarri

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
Thanks Spinarri :)
I'll send you the info soon.