Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Probably a dumb question but..  (Read 3013 times)

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Probably a dumb question but..
« on: December 31, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
I have a Performer Platinum that I have recently taught my son to use. He has been using it for a while but yesterday he tells me that he can't get the thing to start. Being in Ohio, its stupid cold (I think its 21 today) so I go out real quick and it looks like the plastic knob is just spinning but not engaging the valve for the gas start. The combination of me being tired and it being so cold out, I just toss him some starter cubes and just tell him to use those for now and we will figure it out later. Fast forward to today and I go out and mess with it for a minute (again its freakin cold) and I can't seem to get it to engage. Anyone had this problem? I assume it is something stupid, but I would prefer to sit in my warm house and use all your smart brains rather than go outside and freeze mine. ;-)

Thanks in advance..

Tom

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
Re: Probably a dumb question but..
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
How old is it? New one with the battery, or older one with the red push button? Not sure about this spinning thing.
If you don't cover your grill, water can get in there and ruin the battery for sure.

First step i would do is open up the gas valve and see if you light it with a match, if it lights then move over to the ignitor. If it does not light then low on fuel or check the hose and regulaor, is it kinked? Make sure it looks like it is hooked up to the bowl too.  If it did light , replace the batteries on the ignitor? Old style....i think if you take out the ignitor and press it in you should see it spark but im not 100%, you will see it spark on the other side for sure where the flame is.
I dont own a Performer, i wish, but the basic concept is still here. the regulator and ignitors are used in the weber gas grills and pretty standard with others.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
Is it possible he forced it the wrong direction and stripped it ?

It's likely repairable if that's the case
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
Its a 2005 model, so no battery. Anything is possible, but I would think he was smart enough not to turn it the wrong way. So basically what is happening is when you go to turn the round plastic knob, it just spins. It has a little tension, but does not "catch". I tried to see if the knob would come off, but short of forcing it and possibly breaking it, I don't see how it comes off.

Thanks again

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
can you pull the knob off and try to twist the valve with a pair of pliers?

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
The gas knob is part of the regulator assembly. Sounds like maybe something broke off in it and the knob is spinning like you states. Does the knob come off? Maybe a broken piece of plastic will come out with it,maybe you can glue that piece and pop it back on. Possible it is not repairable, it seems it is part of the regulator from what i can gather from the schematic sheet for a 2005. Looking about $30 average price to replace the whole thing. Would call Weber first since you will take out the middle man and shipping should  be $7.
http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?Model=841001&Sequence=49
Number to call is on the page and the part number that goes with it. Model 841001, make sure that is yours before you call.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 03:43:56 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help. I tried to get the knob off, but it does not seem to come off. Anyone know how? I just dont want to force it and then make matters worse..

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »
There is a very small set screw in the knob. Check that out. It may have come loose. There is a flat spot it should secure to.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »
Mine did the same thing, it just kept spinning.  It was stripped and I called Weber and they sent me another one.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X