Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: MacEggs on March 20, 2023, 09:14:58 AM

Title: Short Rib Roast
Post by: MacEggs on March 20, 2023, 09:14:58 AM
I like to support local farmers.
This one is nice and close by.

Had never heard of a short rib "roast", so my interest was piqued.
Have done short rib planks, or slabs, many times.

Decided to forge ahead with my plan...

A generous slathering of Worcestershire sauce, and another generous coating of my homemade SPG seasoning.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6333.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6368.jpg)


Kettle ran in the 260-300℉ range.
After about four hours, I decided to braise it. Did this for three hours.
I bumped up the kettle temperature a bit for this stage.
Had to add some more lit charcoal about half way thru the 3 hours.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6372.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6373.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6375.jpg)


I let it rest for over an hour, and then hacked it up.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6379.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6380.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6383.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6382.jpg)
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/IMG_6384.jpg)


NOTE: I never checked the IT. I find this method to be fool-proof, so I couldn't be bothered.

I will admit that it was a little dry,
but I didn't care. Turned out fantastic!

Thanks for looking!
Mark

Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: SixZeroFour on March 20, 2023, 04:35:05 PM
Nicely done Mark, your roast turned out great!

Braising looks like a smart idea for sure, and I bet the onion took the flavor thru the roof.

What brand of charcoal do you normally like to use?

Cheers my friend!
Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: AZ2FL on March 21, 2023, 03:59:35 AM
Great looking rib roast cook!
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: JEBIV on March 21, 2023, 03:59:47 AM
wow, that looks awesome, I love any cut of short rib
Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: bamakettles on March 21, 2023, 07:23:00 AM
Looks grate!  Been too long since we've had big beef ribs....
Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: michaelmilitello on March 21, 2023, 09:06:37 AM
Beautiful!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: MacEggs on March 21, 2023, 12:30:26 PM
Thanks, guys!

Quote from: SixZeroFour on March 20, 2023, 04:35:05 PMWhat brand of charcoal do you normally like to use?

@SixZeroFour , Matt, I use lump nearly 100% of the time, and Cowboy brand is my go-to.
My local Costco has been carrying it for a number of years and I like it.
Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: BronzeAgeBBQ on March 23, 2023, 04:31:11 AM
Looks amazing!!  Got to try that!!


Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Short Rib Roast
Post by: Big Dawg on March 23, 2023, 04:31:39 PM
Never seen anything like that cook.  I just wish I had a plate !!





BD