Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Kettle Forum => Topic started by: Stu Clary on July 23, 2014, 03:12:05 PM

Title: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Stu Clary on July 23, 2014, 03:12:05 PM
15 bucks on craigslist.

(https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/14828_10202173899650672_7238464206001496073_n.jpg)
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Peaspurple on July 23, 2014, 03:19:37 PM
That looks like one that was on CL here in the Maryland area. Looks like its in good shape. Is it grey or just faded?
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: SixZeroFour on July 23, 2014, 03:21:47 PM
Heck yeah! Great snag for $15!!
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Stu Clary on July 23, 2014, 04:18:05 PM
Quote from: Peaspurple on July 23, 2014, 03:19:37 PM
That looks like one that was on CL here in the Maryland area. Looks like its in good shape. Is it grey or just faded?

Ya know, I've been asking myself the same thing.  I think its gray, but the top is definitely lighter than the bottom.
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: 1buckie on July 23, 2014, 04:30:21 PM


Fade Blackie......nice & even, but fade Blackie........favorite kettle here.....

Nice example.........used to be $15 all day long, but some folks seem to be getting a bit wise out there in the world.......

Gray is really gray....gloss gray......

(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Cookers%202012/new%20cookers%202013/3Eb3Fd3I85L25K15Mbd5me692fff6fc98115e.jpg)
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: argentflame on July 23, 2014, 05:08:35 PM
Nice score Stu. What city did you pick it up?
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Dale Benson on July 23, 2014, 05:30:35 PM
Quote from: 1buckie on July 23, 2014, 04:30:21 PM
Gray is really gray....gloss gray......

Another way to tell a grey from a faded black is to rub the surface with a wet finger or rag. If it even temporarily turns darker then it's almost certain to be a faded black.
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Stu Clary on July 23, 2014, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: argentflame on July 23, 2014, 05:08:35 PM
Nice score Stu. What city did you pick it up?

Thanks!  Got it in Auburn.  One of the cool things about living in Vacaville is the Bay Area and the foothills are about an equal distance.
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: mirkwood on July 24, 2014, 01:37:27 PM
Ahh so yer the guy that got it.. was talking to Winz and he asked me about it and I told him I knew nothing about it, if fact I went and made sure the A code I'm fostering was still here.
Y'all was up kicking the chickens awake and and I was busy sleeping. What other cookers you got your stable?
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Stu Clary on July 24, 2014, 02:15:11 PM
Quote from: mirkwood on July 24, 2014, 01:37:27 PM
What other cookers you got your stable?

Here's a family picture...

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10547499_10202128694200564_8899001580479163043_n.jpg?oh=bc436b49143809a5caab1ac480718169&oe=545727CF&__gda__=1412762026_6f21601792e867cb8ff85513058db21a)
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: mirkwood on July 24, 2014, 02:34:25 PM
Really nice looking clan ya got there, All ya need is a yellow and ya have yourself a stop light ;) I need to
get another pic of all my cookers as the clan has doubled from the first pic I took.. Not sure if I got ya in
the intro thread or not, but welcome to the WKC and hope you can make it to a few of the meetups..
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Stu Clary on July 24, 2014, 03:01:32 PM
Thanks Man.  Looking forward to it!
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Winz on July 24, 2014, 07:13:35 PM
Stu!  Your the one that got it!  I emailed the seller pretty early and followed up with a call around 8:30. He told me that someone was coming to pick it up. I thought for sure it was Mirkwood, given its in his back yard. Glad to see it stayed in the WKC.

What's the vent code?  Was the seller as grumpy in person as he was on the phone?

Winz


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Fishawn on July 24, 2014, 08:03:47 PM
Nice Score!
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Stu Clary on July 25, 2014, 09:40:28 AM
Quote from: Winz on July 24, 2014, 07:13:35 PM

What's the vent code?  Was the seller as grumpy in person as he was on the phone?

Winz

Can't get much info from the vent:

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10527315_10202182421263707_1007776343037936245_n.jpg?oh=e13b9d0849a59a57bf2002a551fb4ec9&oe=544EB876&__gda__=1415095392_232750b83dfea5a4b9faa963d16007b2)

Nah, the seller was cool.  Younger guy, which surprised me.  I think HE was surprised that someone would drive an hour to buy an old grill.
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Nate on July 25, 2014, 07:47:55 PM
Great find!
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: Stu Clary on October 11, 2014, 06:41:11 AM
So, I ended up giving "The Beast" to my older son.  As I detailed in a different thread, he is a junior in college and plays on the baseball team.  They were required to live in campus their first two years, and now he and three friends/team mates share a house.  Well, I wasn't going to let these young men - and certainly not my first born - move into a house without a proper outdoor cooker.  He was pretty pumped when I told him I wanted him to bring it to school with him.

Fast forward to this weekend.  Wife and I and another set of house/baseball parents we've become friendly with up in Oregon visiting.  I broke that beast in for real last night!  Two tri tips, beans, and a pan of Italian sausage/onions & peppers.  Those boys ate (and drank) like kings!  Great night!

Interesting thing:  When it got hot, the lid and bowl really changed color noticeably.  The bowl almost got a bit lighter, the lid definitely got darker.
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: GregS on October 11, 2014, 06:57:09 AM
They will be forever wise in the way of the kettle.  Proper send off! 
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: SixZeroFour on October 11, 2014, 07:13:27 AM
Very cool Stu!
Title: Re: I picked up this old beast today.
Post by: 1911Ron on October 11, 2014, 01:09:46 PM
Nice fade and good for you on setting them up right!