Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Confessional: I mistreated it  (Read 1963 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Confessional: I mistreated it
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
Let this be a place of solace, where we can come together and admit our failures and failings, misguided judgements and (sob!) humanness.

I'll go first.

Last year I bought a really nice '87 SJ. Even the wood handle was nice; very little use. $15! Did some tasty cooks on it.

And then I left it outside all winter, uncovered. LAZY. No excuse. The wood handle now looks more weathered and is missing color in some places. Tung oil? Stain? I'm basically wood-ignorant. Ignernt. I'll search the myriad wood handle threads ... the legs, which had started light rust before I acquired it, now look pathetic. The charcoal grate is rusty. The grill grate is all spotted with rust.

And then a few months ago I couldn't see the SJ from the window. So of course I asked my then-7yr old about it, who is usually guilty of most things. She reported that she tossed it off the back deck into the woods. WTF?? "Do you NOT want ANY inheritance?" Now sporting a 4" dent in the lid, and corresponding missing paint, I was ready to throw the whole thing away in anger.

But of course, WHO would I be angry at? It's cooking marinated salmon fillets now. And, the lid on an SJ is thin enough that two thumbs can push out a dent reasonably well.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Confessional: I mistreated it
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
Shame be upon you Sir. Now we have a first hand example of some of the rough kettles we see on CL. your daughter deserves broccoli for a week! Then Brussel sprouts after that.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
We're having broccoli with rice and salmon fillets. She'll eat broccoli but "dislikes" fish. Then again, she still confuses fish and chicken.

Both kids "don't like" grilled food. It's a mindset, not an actual objection. They eat it or don't eat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0xkfwi408k6lje/Photo%20Apr%2009%2C%205%2036%2041%20PM.jpg
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
It'll buff out.8)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
It'll buff out.8)

It's just a flesh wound.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »
needed a lid holder and that plant was dead anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

first flip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »