Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ugh... wind and kettles.  (Read 1762 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Ugh... wind and kettles.
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
I was grilling some simple hotdogs for the family this evening, nothing special, on my green AA OTG (my main cooker). While the chimney was warming up a gust of wind blew my lid off of the rim of the kettle, where it had been hanging by its hook. It fell onto a cement curb, then a concrete slab. The impact caused some scratches and a smaller than a dime chip on the lid. Ugh. It could've been worse, but still frustrating. I've been impressed by how stable the tripod kettles are in high winds, and I've always thought the lid hook was an elegantly simple solution, but it never occurred to me that the wind could knock it off. These are the first scratches after three years of regular use, so not too bad. Even so, it's disappointing.

I share this as a heads up to anyone out there who may be grilling in high winds... Don't let it happen to your kettle!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ugh... wind and kettles.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
I'm afraid this has happened many times over.
Not uncommon to see a kettle top with a bent handle due to falling or being blown off the bowl while hanging.
Also the soft aluminum legs get dented from contact with the hanging lid.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
I'm afraid this has happened many times over.
Not uncommon to see a kettle top with a bent handle due to falling or being blown off the bowl while hanging.
Also the soft aluminum legs get dented from contact with the hanging lid.

You're right, but I like to think that I take care my my kettles. I certainly don't abuse or neglect them. That having been said, accidents do happen. I'm just glad the damage wasnt as bad as it sounded.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »
Yep, it can happen to anyone.
I'm thinking about adding the lid bale to my OTG.

Hopefully the wind won't push the whole thing over !

:o

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
That sucks but thank you for posting your experience.  It hadn't occured to me that that could happen.  I bought a slide aside that's still in it's box.  I think I'll be breaking it out just in case.  A lid bail mod would also be cool but I don't want to drill into a bowl, especially on an MBH or color kettle.
WTB 18 fruit

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:09:43 AM »
That sucks, I never used those lid hooks for that very reason. I just keep it on or place it in the rocks near my cooker. I just don't trust the hooks.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:07:51 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  I will make sure I remember this post if I grill and its windy.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:11:33 AM »
Two words..........."SLIDE ASIDE"  8)
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:40:22 AM »
Two words..........."SLIDE ASIDE"  8)

Good solution.