Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got my smokey joe platinum  (Read 3154 times)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Finally got my smokey joe platinum
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »
I was heading up to Pittsburgh for business and was able to grab this baby. New in box for $50 was fair I thought. One of these have been alluding me for a couple years now.

A Wonderful Family!!!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Finally got my smokey joe platinum
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »
Great price for a NIB SJP, well worth it. And they take up so little space, they can hide among your other kettles and go unnoticed for years.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
Nice score!  Are you going to open the box, or is this a "NIB Keep it on the shelf" grill?
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »

Nice score!  Are you going to open the box, or is this a "NIB Keep it on the shelf" grill?

I am going to keep this one in the box for now.
A Wonderful Family!!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »
Great price for a NIB SJP, well worth it. And they take up so little space, they can hide among your other kettles and go unnoticed for years.

Sounds like a grillfella excuse if I've ever heard one.

Congrats, peas. I got a nib one too ;)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »
Nice work, Peas!  That's some sweet kettle karma you got working there.
One of the charcoal people.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
Congrats on you SJP!

I picked one up about two years ago NIB as well. I assembled it & have cooked on it about a dozen times. I say use it, but take care of it. You can use it a hundred times and it'll still clean up great as long as you take care of it.

People give them (and the SJG) a bad rap because they claim that the vent design compromises airflow. I will admit that they have a bit of a learning curve, but after learning a few tricks I've come to really enjoy cooking on mine. The key is to bank the coals on half of the charcoal grate right in front of a vent that is adjusted to raise/lower temps. The other lower vent should be closed completely. I often use a single charcoal rail in the middle and pile up a lot of charcoal until it is almost touching the food grate. A charcoal basket would work as well. This setup draws air in and through the coals, then up through the food & out the top vent. If you really want a rip roaring fire leave the lid off and open both bottom vents. About the only thing a SJP or SJG doesn't do well is run high temps with the lid on for a prolonged period of time. I've cooked everything from burgers, beef tenderloin, chicken & tri tip with excellent results.

Forgive me for the tangent, but I was pretty tickled when I figured this out, and have been meaning to share it with the forum.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:42:17 AM »
...The key is to bank the coals on half of the charcoal grate right in front of a vent that is adjusted to raise/lower temps. The other lower vent should be closed completely.

CB-
I've noticed the same thing as well.  It's almost as if leaving both lower vents open just confuses the airflow and keeps it from developing a good "draft".    Close one vent and they become a slow-cooking machine!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:53 AM »
Nice find, good price Peaspurple!

Here's another one on Ebay.  Good price, but shipping makes the "final price" just ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Smokey-Joe-Platinum-Charcoal-Grill-New-In-Box-/271414684203?pt=Barbecues_Grills_Smokers&hash=item3f31936a2b
Kettle collector AND cooker!

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 07:10:54 AM »

Here's another one on Ebay.  Good price, but shipping makes the "final price" just ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Smokey-Joe-Platinum-Charcoal-Grill-New-In-Box-/271414684203?pt=Barbecues_Grills_Smokers&hash=item3f31936a2b

I jumped on that bad boy. Need one for camping.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 07:17:57 AM »
Thanks for the tips, peck and art!  I will re-orient my setup on the next cook and get much better results, I'm sure. 
One of the charcoal people.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »

I jumped on that bad boy. Need one for camping.

Good for you...glad you got it!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
Congrats to both of you! I will have to try that method on my formerly puckerbutted SJP. With the one side bowl vent open with the lid vent open method, it almost seems like it would cook food similar to if you had just one daisy wheel open on a regular kettle. I employ that method often on my daisy kettles. Or as I call it "50s style". (Lid vent, one bowl vent) like the originals.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
Craig-
Others may have a better way, but I like to put the lid so that the lid-damper is opposite of the one open side-air-intake so that it draws the smoke across the food I'm cooking.

Works for me!  Again, your mileage may vary...  (YMMV)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
Craig-
Others may have a better way, but I like to put the lid so that the lid-damper is opposite of the one open side-air-intake so that it draws the smoke across the food I'm cooking.

Works for me!  Again, your mileage may vary...  (YMMV)

That's pretty much what I do on my daisys most of the time. Duke put me on to that method.