Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mid-week Lunch Rescue Mission Black MBH (pic heavy)  (Read 2283 times)

gunner

• WKC Brave
Mid-week Lunch Rescue Mission Black MBH (pic heavy)
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »
It was 15 minutes before lunch this Wednesday, so I popped on Craigslist for fun to see if any new Weber ads had posted. I spotted an ad that just said Weber Grill $25.00 (like most of them do). So I clicked on it and this was the only picture:

I saw the metal handles and of course was intrigued. It also looked to be in great shape. Couldn't tell in the picture if it was a small or big tab vent either. The only description in the ad was "New Weber Grill" and a phone #. It didn't even list where it was located but it was a 630 area code so I was hoping it was in the Western Suburbs. So I called the guy and he was about 25 minutes away from my work. I asked him if I could come by on Saturday to pick it up and he said the magic words..."Sure, but someone might snag it from you before you get here Saturday". I went into panic mode, so I asked him if he was home right then and if I could swing by in 25 minutes during my lunch break. He sounded surprised that I wanted to come out right then and there, but agreed to it, so off I went! I got to his house, rang the doorbell and he let me in to see it. It was in a dark basement so I couldn't really tell the condition and didn't have a lot of time, so first thing I looked at was the vent, and it was a small tab patent number! I was really excited, so I instantly told him I would take it and that I had to get back to work (which I did). I gave him $25.00 bucks, and he said, "oh it comes with a brand new grate too" and lifted up the lid to show me the brand new Weber grate. Almost worth the $25 bucks already, NICE! So I loaded her up and cruised back to work with out being able to fully inspect it. I got home, unloaded her and I have to say she was in FINE FINE shape.

Vent tab a little tweaked and vent could use a scrubbing

Even the handle was in amazing shape and you can still see the Weber letters. That looks like a dent on the lid but it's not (no rust around the handle either)

No rust around the side handles

Some of the bottom vent tabs are smushed but no biggie (no rust around the leg sockets AT ALL and ash pan in great shape)

Brand new grate under the lid!

The inside of the bowl looked like it had never been used, and neither did the inside of the lid.

Really the only flaws were a few chips around the lid, a few scratches and a rust spot. The bowl seemed almost new with just a small dent, but no rust.

This looks a lot worse then it is

Overall it was a successful lunch rescue mission and I am really glad I went! I think she will polish up real nice in the Spring and will be a nice addition to the family....I know this was a long post, but I was really excited about this $25.00 score so thanks for reading!

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Mid-week Lunch Rescue Mission Black MBH (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:23:48 PM »
Nice addition Gunner.....the new grate alone is worth the price and much sturdier than the current offering.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Sweet!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »
sweet smoko pickup 8)
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »
Nice pickup, and almost a twin to the one I pictured this morning as well.   Good job!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
Nice pickup, and almost a twin to the one I pictured this morning as well.   Good job!

Thanks! If mine turns out half as nice as yours did after clean up I will be happy! I wish mine had your wheels....I love those white walls..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »
That's a nice pickup, Gunner! Sweet NOS grate too. They don't make the grates like that anymore.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 03:32:01 AM »
Very nice.  Looking forward to more pics after you clean it up.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 05:38:12 AM »
A very nice pickup for sure!
Kettle collector AND cooker!