Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question About The Performer Series And Heavy Snow/Slush  (Read 1613 times)

Shams

• Happy Cooker
Question About The Performer Series And Heavy Snow/Slush
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
Hi, I probably should've introduced myself in the proper section first, hopefully you guys won't hold that against me. My name is Shams and I BBQ (and obsess over said BBQ) more than any sane individual does, but I'm sure I'm in good company in a place like this.

I'm thinking about picking up the 22.5 Performer Platinum, we normally don't get too much snow where I am (Toronto, Ontario) and usually don't see any until January with bulk hitting us in late Feb-March... but so far in December we're already getting piled on so I'm wondering what kind of beating the performer will take.

I'll be storing it in the garage, but wheeling it in and out of the driveway which is a slushy salty mess (it's raining today making it a soup, as our cold/mild weather changes on a dime) so it's more the wheels that I'm worried about rather than the kettle. Should I hold off until spring and just continue with a winter beater for now, or do the enthusiasts here have any tricks up their sleeves in terms of keeping this thing going in the nasty weather?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:42:21 AM by Shams »

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
Re: Question About The Performer Series And Heavy Snow/Slush
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
I move my SS performer around in the snow sometimes. What I did is I sprayed WD40 all over the bottom of the frame and axle. Every once and a while after i clean it, I spray it down again with WD40. I do it mostly because of where I live the salty air will rust the heck out of anything that gets wet and air dries. Also, they sell replacement wheels if you just want to trash them, and have new summer wheels too! Either way I wouldn't put off getting a performer. get it, lose the beater, trust me, you won't give a crap about the snow.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:46:46 AM »
Mine are out on a brick patio in my backyard. They are easy to move around - they are not only a means of cooking but handy,movable tables to help with outdoor cooking. Use them a lot when cooking on my 26 in kettle and WSM.

Here is a pic of my two performers, 26 in kettle and WSM getting ready for this past thanksgiving cook .

Shams

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 01:50:29 PM »
I move my SS performer around in the snow sometimes. What I did is I sprayed WD40 all over the bottom of the frame and axle. Every once and a while after i clean it, I spray it down again with WD40. I do it mostly because of where I live the salty air will rust the heck out of anything that gets wet and air dries. Also, they sell replacement wheels if you just want to trash them, and have new summer wheels too! Either way I wouldn't put off getting a performer. get it, lose the beater, trust me, you won't give a crap about the snow.

Awesome, thanks for the response. After seeing where you are right on the coast, then talking to a friend who uses WD40 on everything, I figured I'd be okay and pulled the trigger on the Performer Platinum. (Unfortunately it's being delivered so I'll miss out on a Christmas cook, but New Years and playoff football are just around the corner so it will be put to use right away)

@Bbqmiller, nice set up. The WSM is next on my list. Every time I cook on a kettle I'm looking for somewhere to rest whatever it is I need to put down at the moment, then forgetting where I put it. So the Performer's table/cart set up will help me localize.

Cheers

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
Working kettles in the snow isn't a problem. I found this old book and they do it fine.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy
If it breathes, we can cook it!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »
Hi, I probably should've introduced myself in the proper section first, hopefully you guys won't hold that against me.
I'll be storing it in the garage, but wheeling it in and out of the driveway which is a slushy salty mess ...
Welcome to the WKC Shams - sounds like you'll fit right in. I think we can cut you some slack if you post some pictures of your Webers (or other outdoor cooking equipment.) ;D

As far as the snow and slush, I don't have inside space for my grills but suggest that you brush snow off them before it has a chance to freeze. It's a pain to have one freeze shut. (Had difficulty opening the storage cover on my SS performer earlier today.)
kettles, smokers...