Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: In my companies mechanic shop...  (Read 4284 times)

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
In my companies mechanic shop...
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

More pics later if I can convince them to stop burning burgers and brats on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »

There are wasp nests on the cooking grate and the handle is degraded a bit.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: In my companies mechanic shop...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
Wow! How long has she been outside?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »
Wow! How long has she been outside?
Judging by the vent code I'd say 23yrs ;D
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »
That poor grill has miles beyond its years.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:39:46 AM »
So I go to my Project Manager who has been with the company 40 years...his only job ever has been with this company and tell him about my find by the shop. He in turn says to me, I have an old weber in my garage, but now I use a propane grill a coupe of times a year...
I did tell him the vent tells all and sends me this picture of the vent and nothing else. He has had it so long he cant remember what occasion it was bought for him.

Yes, the one by the shop is 23 years old, bought in 1990ish to burn the typical burger, and maybe get fancy and have a bratwurst bath of onions.
I will post the pic of it from the iphone.
My guess is that it is been idle for 4-5 years since the economy went south....

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 06:44:19 AM »

So here is his vent. He may want to part with it if his wife says ok. Can someone tell me about the age and what not?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 07:03:20 AM »
That '90 just needs a quick WKC treatment and be back in action in no time. As for the vent of the one you posted above, being the BBK vent with patent number could put this grill anywhere between 1971 and 1975. The bowl vents and the wheels will also help to tell the tale, or at least give it could give us a better idea. Lately I've been thinking the patent number (issued in November 10, 1970)  may have started being engraved on the vents a year or two later based on the wheel style variations of the 'Patent Pending" cookers. So it may be a 1973 cooker at the oldest but the jury is still out on that research.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »

That '90 just needs a quick WKC treatment and be back in action in no time. As for the vent of the one you posted above, being the BBK vent with patent number could put this grill anywhere between 1971 and 1975. The bowl vents and the wheels will also help to tell the tale, or at least give it could give us a better idea. Lately I've been thinking the patent number (issued in November 10, 1970)  may have started being engraved on the vents a year or two later based on the wheel style variations of the 'Patent Pending" cookers. So it may be a 1973 cooker at the oldest but the jury is still out on that research.

Yes, I have a pat number kettle with small bowl tabs which could easily place it in the early 70's (or not). As Craig said, that the jury is still out on the earliest year for pat number vents especially when you consider there had to be a period of time where they were both used, as in using up the old supply. On the other end, for the same supply changeover reason, you may even be in to a couple years later than 75.  How is that for narrowing it down? You can feel pretty confidant saying, it is from the 70's!

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »
Awesome information guys! I'm getting anxious to talk to him Monday. I even sent him pictures of my cooking area and said his grill.....would complete me.
The 90, May be tough to get but  gonna try as I would love to try and refurbish it. With advise from the WKC!

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 06:09:34 AM »
I just talked tot the mechanic about the 1990 and it will be in the back of my pick up at close of business!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »

I now have three! Can't stop lookin out the window. Can't wait to get after the cleanup. It's the one in the middle. 22.5, 1990. Black but a bit faded lid.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
Nice pickup, Slicked! When are you going to look at the 70s kettle?

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »
A 'W' code Jaqam! Nice pickup!

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:04 AM »
We'll here it is in the back of my pick up. The lid has two rivet wood handle. The kettle has two metal handles and the wheels are not white walls. It is in damn near great shape. Oh yea, it seems to be grey in color, not faded black.
Did I mention it was free?
Any help with pinpointing the year?