Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Welcoming a couple new cookers to the herd.  (Read 3130 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Welcoming a couple new cookers to the herd.
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »
I hardly needed another cooker.  ::) I have enough. Then G (Stu) contacted me and expressed interest in my 26. It's a black '85 and I've only used it a few times. It had not been used prior to my acquisition early last year. It was no longer pristine and even suffered a lid drop that left a scar.  :-[ Nevertheless, Stu made me an offer I could not refuse: A new 26 in exchange. Lured by the ash bucket, slightly larger grate, lid thermo and hinged SS grate I succumed. It took a while to execute the deal but it finally took place late last week. The other thing of course was the availability of the new 14.5 WSM. I have no impulse control!  I had to have one and ordered one from Cabelas - the first vendor to have one to ship.  ;D

I've already completed the first cook on the 14 WSM - that was Pepper Stout Beef. I'm still thinking about what I want to cook on the 26. Should it be something big or should I just plan a lot of food to fill up that grate?

Though I do have an appreciation of the older grills, mine go back to '74 or whenever the Sequoia was made, I now have three AT code Webers. About a year ago I spotted a 22 WSM on CL for $150 and it was my first AT ('13) coded Weber. I probably won't be adding anything to the collection for a while now. I have 1 18" kettle, three 22 kettles (MT, SS Performer and older Platinum) three Smokey Joes (SJS, SJP and JJ) and three WSMs in assorted sizes (not to mention a mini-WSM conversion for the SJs.) Then there's a Genesis Silver A, Q220 and even a couple non-Weber cookers. My collection pales in comparison to some of the others, but it goes pretty far beyond meting my needs. ;D
kettles, smokers...

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: Welcoming a couple new cookers to the herd.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »
Very nice!  I love that color too! :)  How about a bunch of stuff for that 26? 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »

" I have no impulse control! "

Somehow this makes perfect sense.................. 8)

Great all-around lineup y'all got there.....any particular batting order?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
Nice Hank! Sounds like a fair trade to me! Are the bricks on the WSM jr for reaching sake or for some other reason?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
Very nice collection Hank! Great job in the trade with Stu.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
Daymn Hank, we're pretty much in the same boat.  I recently acquired a 26'er and 18" WSM making 3 2013 (AT) vents in my collection.  And here I thought I could mimic your threesome photo of the 22, 18, & mini come next snowfall.  But then you had to lose control and add the 14 to your collection.  lol

And likewise, I'm yet to add fire to the 26 and don't have a plan for it's first cook.  :D

PS - is the vent code on the 14" WSM AT?  Shouldn't it be AH for 2014?
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
Speaking of which --- how does the cover for the 14" fit on the mini?  I've been thinking of ordering one, but wanna ask a real world user.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »
Wow...that's an awesome photo.  Its worthy of the Weber homepage.

Tell us more how the little WSM did on its first cook!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »
Great additions Hank....put that 26 through its paces. 

I think there was a previous thread that discussed the lower priced 26ers with free shipping on eBay.  Well I can verify that this one was not a scam.  The 26 OTG came at a great price, was BNIB, and shipped free from a major retailer's warehouse....don't ask me??

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »
Nice photo Hank, you will love the 26.  Is the triangle upside down?

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »
Hank, that's a fantastic photo.  Hope those grills bring you many happy cooks.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Welcoming a couple new cookers to the herd.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »
Love that photo. You got a great stable. Love to see that little guy putting out good bbq. You will like the 26. I am glad weber reissued this.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »
Wow! I thought I was excited about these. I hope I get all of the questions answered.

Great all-around lineup y'all got there.....any particular batting order?
The SS Performer often gets used because it has the propane igniter. Other than that, I just choose which ever grill seems most appropriate for what I'm cooking. My red MT probably sees the least use since I want to do a thorough cleanup on it before proceeding.

Are the bricks on the WSM jr for reaching sake or for some other reason?
It just looked too short next to the 26. I wanted a little balance. Some day I'll build some kind of counter on the patio that will have a nook on which I can set the little WSM.

PS - is the vent code on the 14" WSM AT?  Shouldn't it be AH for 2014?
Yes, AT. Both cookers also have a serial number on the vent cover. My 22 WSM has an AT code as well but no serial number.

Speaking of which --- how does the cover for the 14" fit on the mini?  I've been thinking of ordering one, but wanna ask a real world user.
The circumference is fine but the top sticks above the SJ handle since the lid on the SJ is more flattened than the lid on the WSM.

Tell us more how the little WSM did on its first cook!
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/14-wsm-pepper-stout-beef/msg73698

Great additions Hank....put that 26 through its paces. 

I think there was a previous thread that discussed the lower priced 26ers with free shipping on eBay.  Well I can verify that this one was not a scam.  The 26 OTG came at a great price, was BNIB, and shipped free from a major retailer's warehouse....don't ask me??
It was great. Not sure it was supposed to have charcoal baskets but if so they were left out. But I don't particularly care for that style charcoal basket, already have some and don't use them.

Is the triangle upside down?
??? It was right side up when I put it on! Wait! OH ... oh.  :-[
kettles, smokers...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
Wow! I thought I was excited about these. I hope I get all of the questions answered.

Was the kettle upside-down when you put it on "right side up"? haha. Just giving you a hard time, Hank.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »

Was the kettle upside-down when you put it on "right side up"? haha. Just giving you a hard time, Hank.

Apparently.  ::)
kettles, smokers...