Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1995 Smokey Joe found, need help finding parts.  (Read 2009 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
1995 Smokey Joe found, need help finding parts.
« on: October 01, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »
Last night I went over to my parents house and I brought my dog.  I let him run around the backyard and like a dog he went poopy.  I started digging through my parents shed trying to find a shovel and out of the corner of my eye I see a Black Smokey Joe Silver.

I pull it out and the date code is an EO.  The bowl and lid are in great condition.  The handle is is pretty good condition, just needs to be refinished.  The grates both need to be replaced (easy part).  The legs need to be replaced as well, they were bent, rusted and appear to be missing a piece.  I am not sure if 1995 had the small little ash catcher, or just had the washer which held the legs together.  Either way I would like to replace the legs with the corresponding legs/ash catcher of that year, but not sure where to get the parts.

When I get home I'll take some pictures and I also have to look at the handle better to see if it just needs a little sanding and finish or if I should just outright replace it as well.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: 1995 Smokey Joe found, need help finding parts.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »
I've had a pretty easy time finding SJ parts direct from Weber.  And particularly with legs that are oxidized and stained, I've preferred to just order new legs for a couple bucks rather than do all that scrubbing.  I would recommend replacing the hardware with stainless, however.  Take your old parts to a good old-fashioned hardware store (you know, the kind with real people who can find stuff for you that's not in little plastic bags) and spend a couple bucks upgrading your nuts, bolts, and washers. 

Congrats on the find!  Hope you didn't pay too much for it.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 07:35:19 AM »
I've had a pretty easy time finding SJ parts direct from Weber.  And particularly with legs that are oxidized and stained, I've preferred to just order new legs for a couple bucks rather than do all that scrubbing.  I would recommend replacing the hardware with stainless, however.  Take your old parts to a good old-fashioned hardware store (you know, the kind with real people who can find stuff for you that's not in little plastic bags) and spend a couple bucks upgrading your nuts, bolts, and washers. 

Congrats on the find!  Hope you didn't pay too much for it.  ;-)

I told my parents I was taking it, and they were fine with it since they don't grill.  I think they pulled it out of one of their rentals houses when they were cleaning it.

I will definitely upgrade the hardware to stainless and I'll purchase the legs from Weber. 

Thanks a bunch
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
Aawa, I have some extra legs. Just shoot me a pm.

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 03:21:10 PM »
Today on Christmas because of a recent loss of a family member and it being just a day off I decided to clean/restore a 95 DJ of my best friends father......while the little kettle is a 95 the drip pan thing says pat.pending on the bottom. Wtf I thought

Sent from my SM-J737P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ryan  Andrew Moore

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
I would just keep an eye out for a NIB SJ on marketplace and swap all the necessary parts. They are frequently found for $15 to $25.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 05:12:00 PM »
When did the legs change? From rond bar to flat