Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mops -- Flavor? Moisture? Both?  (Read 1779 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Mops -- Flavor? Moisture? Both?
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
I've yet to 'cue or grill anything in earnest on my kettle; so, I don't know whether or not I should even be asking this question.  But, I like having an idea of where to go before I start the car, so here goes --

I've been reading different sites that talk about different 'cue methods and recipes.  I see different recipes for mops.  Some sites talk about mopping the ribs, for example, at various points during the cook.  Other sites talk about "spritzing" the ribs.  Does one use the mop in a spritz bottle?  For example, I saw a mop recipe that called for apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, and recommended spritzing the ribs every hour (during a 4-5 hour cook).  I've also seen on BBQ Pitmasters where the pitmaster mops the ribs, and the mop looks pretty thick, almost like a bbq sauce.  Finally, can a mop be used with any rib recipe, with any dry rub?  Or should the mop be "matched" with a rub?

The reason for my question -- I have a favorite recipe for ribs that I've been using successfully on my gas grill.  I use a store-bought dry rub.  The ribs come off the grill juicy, and the meat comes off the bone with barely a tug.  Do I even need a mop?  Does the mop only add flavor, or does it also add moisture?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Mops -- Flavor? Moisture? Both?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:37:09 PM »

You may want to at least think about matching the mop / spritz to the nature of the rub.......think about what might clash & generally move away from that.......I can't really tell you
what + what = "X" mainly because I don't know what the tastes of your famliy, you & friends might be......

Do not mop / spritz until the rub is set up good (maybe 2 hours in) so the rub does not just wash off........

Apple juice & cider vinegar will not change the flavor too, too much.....some, but not a lot.....more to keep the moisture content up as the fats render out.......and speaking of that, ribs done open the whole time ( I've seen the thread on 3-2-1 & will go there next !!!) are about the right amount of drip to do drip beans down on the lower grate under the cookup.......really good flavoring.......
Example :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26001/#msg26001

Try to stay toward the sweeter side of things with pork, more savory side with beef.....general guideline I've found to be helpful.......

If you've got it down on the gas unit, then you already KNOW how to do this......what to look for, how to have a general sense of the progress of the cook.....

What might the differences be?

A gasser will keep heat going a bit better than charcoal if opening the lid numerous times is involved......"If you're lookin', you ain't cookin" does apply, even tho I personally think a lot of folks take that a bit too seriously.....just be ready & recoup your heat as soon as possible......less noodling = shorter cook= sooner eats......not rocket surgery also applies......

thick or thin, spritz or mop.....these things are somewhat of a personal taste thing...

Mop would be probably more for like a saucing / glazing type thing.....the AJ ACV Woosty thing is a little more to keep the damp up......I will use 50/50 AJ /ACV maybe twice or three times on a 4~5-1/2 hour cook & only if they seem to be drying out some.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 04:19:44 AM »

You may want to at least think about matching the mop / spritz to the nature of the rub.......think about what might clash & generally move away from that.......I can't really tell you
what + what = "X" mainly because I don't know what the tastes of your famliy, you & friends might be......

Do not mop / spritz until the rub is set up good (maybe 2 hours in) so the rub does not just wash off........

Apple juice & cider vinegar will not change the flavor too, too much.....some, but not a lot.....more to keep the moisture content up as the fats render out.......and speaking of that, ribs done open the whole time ( I've seen the thread on 3-2-1 & will go there next !!!) are about the right amount of drip to do drip beans down on the lower grate under the cookup.......really good flavoring.......
Example :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/nothing-new-just-some-pork-beans/msg26001/#msg26001

Try to stay toward the sweeter side of things with pork, more savory side with beef.....general guideline I've found to be helpful.......

If you've got it down on the gas unit, then you already KNOW how to do this......what to look for, how to have a general sense of the progress of the cook.....

What might the differences be?

A gasser will keep heat going a bit better than charcoal if opening the lid numerous times is involved......"If you're lookin', you ain't cookin" does apply, even tho I personally think a lot of folks take that a bit too seriously.....just be ready & recoup your heat as soon as possible......less noodling = shorter cook= sooner eats......not rocket surgery also applies......

thick or thin, spritz or mop.....these things are somewhat of a personal taste thing...

Mop would be probably more for like a saucing / glazing type thing.....the AJ ACV Woosty thing is a little more to keep the damp up......I will use 50/50 AJ /ACV maybe twice or three times on a 4~5-1/2 hour cook & only if they seem to be drying out some.......

I'm rethinking the whole mop routine.  Many of you have been telling me "if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'."  And besides, for the short time that I've successfully been doing ribs low and slow on the gas grill, I never used a mop.  So, if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.  However, doing ribs on my kettle is a different story altogether.  So, I'll most likely be back for advice in that regard.

Thanks again for your advice.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
... Many of you have been telling me "if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'."
FWIW I don't mop or spritz. Nor do I inject. I'm happy with my results.

If you're getting good results on your gasser, translate your process as directly as possible to the kettle and then solve any problems that crop up. Solving problems you don't have could cause problems.
kettles, smokers...

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:46:44 AM »
... Many of you have been telling me "if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'."
FWIW I don't mop or spritz. Nor do I inject. I'm happy with my results.

If you're getting good results on your gasser, translate your process as directly as possible to the kettle and then solve any problems that crop up. Solving problems you don't have could cause problems.

Another "duh" moment for me -- "If you're getting good results on your gasser, translate your process..."  Sometimes the obvious solution isn't so obvious.  I'm moving in the direction you suggested, maybe a bit more slowly than I'd prefer, but still moving.