Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with a stuck leg on a Red MBH?  (Read 1929 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Help with a stuck leg on a Red MBH?
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
Picked up the redhead mentioned here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/red-kettle-in-stl-$30/  on Thursday evening. Talked him down to $5, since it has several issues, one of which being the front leg socket was holding on by a thread... and is now off.

I'm trying to get the leg out of the socket, and am not even close yet. Tried WD40, w/ no luck. Somebody's had to have run up against this problem before... any other ideas?

Here are some pix. She's definitely in rough shape, but I'm hoping I can restore her.

And here's what I'm up against:

As usual, your help is appreciated! 
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: Help with a stuck leg on a Red MBH?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:04:35 PM »
I had the exact same problem with an old beater 18. The only way was to lose the leg. I bent the ends in a little with a flat bladed screwdriver, and then used an appropriately sized drift to hammer it out while sitting the socket in a brace or vice.

I used an old 1/2 drive socket extension as a drift. The swollen head fit in the socket perfectly without distorting it.

I hope that makes sens and helps.

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:23:14 AM »
Try some PB blaster on the leg. I think it works much better than wd40. I've gotten a few legs out that way both the socket was still attached.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 02:45:21 AM »
Bob-
I agree that WD-40 isn't the best for loosening rusted items.  It's more for squeaky hinges and displacing water.

Since the socket is off the grill, you have a couple of options...Any of these will help...   Who knows which would actually work!  LOL

1) Heat up the leg right next to the socket with a torch.  Allow it to cool before trying to remove socket.  (Or just toss that end into a chimney of coals the next time you fire up a kettle.)
2) Soak entire socket in a jar filled with power-steering or auto trans fluid overnight.   Both are a thin but slippery oil
3) Find a socket that would fit over the leg, but is still small enough to push the tabs of the grill socket.  Use the socket to try to tap the grill-leg socket further ONTO the leg.  I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but once you get it moving, then you should be able to slide it back off the other direction.  You'd be just trying to get it moving with this idea.
4) You could drill a hole in a board that will fit the leg, but not the socket.  Slide the leg through the hole in the board until it comes in contact with the leg-socket.  Have someone hold the leg vertically while you tap on the board with a hammer on each end of the board.

That's enough ideas for now
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:24:27 AM »
I think there is a pvc diameter that might fit over the leg from the opposite end.  slide it on and hammer.  (after copious amounts of pb blaster).  also, small strap wrenches to assist twist?

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »
Add my vote for PB-Blaster. WD-40 is not penetrating oil! (But it is useful for softening grease before using a degreaser.)

Also let time work for you. Apply PB-Blaster and let it sit a few days or even a week or two. I've had things release easily after a week that I couldn't budge initially.
kettles, smokers...

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »
I would put the leg/socket, well wrapped in a rag in a vise and cut out a section of the leg-stub with a fine metal cutting blade in a saber saw.  I suspect that after you cut out one section the rest will follow easily.
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)