Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This one has been a lot of work.  (Read 3212 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
This one has been a lot of work.
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
This one has been a lot of work and I am not sure how much more patience I have left in me.

Before:

After:

I am debating the bottom vents right now. I typically tend toward keeping original if they are still attached.  These are not going to get a lot cleaner...but neither is the kettle.  I think they will be staying as is.  I have formed them as best I can and they spin a little too freely, but I would rather not remove and replace them.

Before:

After:

That vent has actually been polished.  It does not want to shine.

The grates are beyond rescue:

Just need a handle and maybe one more go at a scrub, and it will be all set.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:22:21 AM by G$ »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: This one has been a lot of work.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »
Didn't clean up too badly. And its a cado! Nice job so far Gerd.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Nice job Gerd, and if you ever decide to pass it on I am interested. :)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
The triangle and legs are in sound structural shape, but are stained, especially where the bailing wire has been for years (and years and years).  The legs work fine so I am not sure why the previous owners used the wire.  I have given the triangle and legs a clean and polish, but more could be done.....

And the wheels.  Ah the wheels, they almost make this thing worth it.  It is a PAT PENDING, but the wheels on this guy are the plastic wheels with rubber treads.  Fortunately all plastic is intact, and the rubber has only minor spots of minimal cracking.  Whitewalls are faded, but not gone. 

Before:

After:

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
Looks much better!

If it refuses to cooperate just tell it that I will take it back where I found it! ;D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
If it refuses to cooperate just tell it that I will take it back where I found it! ;D

;D

I have been cursing you repeatedly today JC, and now you want me threatening this poor grill!  What did those people do to this?!

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »

;D

I have been cursing you repeatedly today JC, and now you want me threatening this poor grill!  What did those people do to this?!

That kettle looks so much better. Glad to see it is coming along. Knowing the area where this kettle came from Gerd you don't want to know what they done to it! It will need a lot of therapy... examples---> cleaning and great cooking sessions are the doctors orders!
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »
You can take the grill out of the Junction, but can you take the Junction out of the grill?
>:D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

With a K

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »
Whew! When I saw the title I thought you were referring to the brownie, which didn't seem that bad. Keep massaging that tired gal back into shape, buddy!
It's all about the meat!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
I think you did a great job from what you had to work with!!!  Its a fine rescue...now go buy some new grates and a big steak!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
This one has been a lot of work.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »
I think it cleaned up great! It looks like it fought you the whole way. When you fire it up the first cook will make the work worth it!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
Let's have a look at that cool charcoal caddy.  ???

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
I have a trucking background and truckers use "aluminum brightener" which is an acid of some sort to clean up stained aluminum and make it look brighter. It works well to get the pores in the aluminum clean prior to polishing. It foams when it comes in contact with wet aluminum.

I have wondered if it would work well on these grill restoration projects. Only thing I would warn about is don't let it dry before rinsing and on something like a vent use a lot of water to make sure all of the acid is rinsed from underneath the vent.

You can buy it at NAPA in a squirt bottle.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
Let's have a look at that cool charcoal caddy.  ???

I had talked about getting it in post ten of this thread:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/so-many-questions/msg56697/#msg56697

And for what it is worth, Now that i have used it, I love the caddy, and would definitely get more if I found them.

Nice job Gerd, and if you ever decide to pass it on I am interested. :)

Lets talk.  Do you have what I am looking for?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:25:52 AM by G$ »