Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer - Burner Issues  (Read 4780 times)

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Performer - Burner Issues
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:03:10 AM »
Last weekend I noticed the flame on my Performer was 'popping', but lit and seemed fine otherwise. The next day it wouldn't light at all, switched tanks, still nothing.

Called Weber and they said to clean out the burner and take a straw to blow it out, did that and it worked for a day - now it's dead again.

I've only had the grill since June, bought new, and didn't think I'd have issues like this so soon. I'll probably end up calling Weber again today, but other than using newspaper to light the chimney, does anyone else have any good tips to share that might help with this issue?

What bothers me is the huge flame that occasionally comes out under the table at the beginning of the burner tube right where the propane connects to it.

Again, I realize I can just use newspaper or those cubes to light the charcoal - but I bought this particular model because of the ignition feature, and would like to use it longer than 4 months.  ;) Plus it's nice when using the charcoal trays to just light the coals in them.

On the plus side (and for 'this thread needs pics' purposes), I did manage to make these this weekend from Weber's weekly recipe (not my photo), they were very good!
http://weber.com/recipes/poultry/spiced-chicken-blt-sandwiches

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:07:20 AM by Thunder71 »

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
Re: Performer - Burner Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:08:13 AM »

What bothers me is the huge flame that occasionally comes out under the table at the beginning of the burner tube right where the propane connects to it.

There is a U shaped lock ring that connects the gas hose to the burner tube. Did you install this? If not get one and don't fire that up until you do.
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:15:34 AM »
Yeah, it's on there... almost lost the bugger when it winged off into the air removing it.  :o Either I got lucky or it's how Weber designed it, but somehow it landed right by my knee.

I almost think an actual brush would be more effective than that metal rod they give you to use. I thought about grabbing my gun cleaning kit and using that.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:18:38 AM by Thunder71 »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »
Thunder, these things usually get get clogged up by spiderwebs. Did you scope out the inside of yours from the round end? A straw or wire typically isn't strong enough to remove heavy cobwebs.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 05:53:38 AM »
I used the tool it came with (match holder), it's a pretty beefy rod with a hoop on one end, it seems to be clear of any cobwebs or major debris. It's not shiny by any means, but definitely not obstructed.

If that's not the right tool, it sure looks like it in the manual - I'd fee like an idiot if that wasn't the proper method lol.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Performer - Burner Issues
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:22:45 AM »
Try an air hose or possibly a can of compressed air. A water hose will work too. It's got to be dirty in that tube. When it doesn't fire up can you still hear the propane coming through?

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:27:15 AM »
I used the tool it came with (match holder), it's a pretty beefy rod with a hoop on one end, it seems to be clear of any cobwebs or major debris. It's not shiny by any means, but definitely not obstructed.

If that's not the right tool, it sure looks like it in the manual - I'd fee like an idiot if that wasn't the proper method lol.

Hey Thunder, that wire should work if you can see what you are cleaning out if your clog is behind the venturi you won't be able to clean it effectively from the burner end. Did you clean it from the back end as well?

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 06:30:08 AM »
My hearing isn't my greatest trait lol, I'll try the air compressor and see if that helps out... I can see clean through the tube, only minor particles are on the surface of it, I guess that's all it takes?

I went from both sides, from bowl-out and from outside-in.

I also took a toothpick and cleaned out around the orifice of the gas nozzle, did have some buildup around it so now the hole at least appears to be clean.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 06:35:42 AM »
Hey Thunder, mine used to light even with a little cobweb stuff inside. It's also possible that your regulator went kaput. If it's not working properly it is possible that its just leaking after the orifice instead of shooting through the venturi. The fact that you saw fire under the table is concerning.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »
The Tube is likey plugged up. Not sure how you can see al the way through it without taking it off the bowl?
Make sure that the openings at the end where the flame is supposed to be isn't plugged with cooked on grease or carbon.
If that doesn't work,  you nay have a plugged oriifice at the other end. A paper clip may fit, not sure. After all that, call Weber CS. If its new enough, they should jsut end you a new one.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 06:45:17 AM »
The Tube is likey plugged up. Not sure how you can see al the way through it without taking it off the bowl?
Make sure that the openings at the end where the flame is supposed to be isn't plugged with cooked on grease or carbon.
If that doesn't work,  you nay have a plugged oriifice at the other end. A paper clip may fit, not sure. After all that, call Weber CS. If its new enough, they should jsut end you a new one.  8)

If you take the hose off you can see through the back end of it pretty easily. (squat down)

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »
Yeah, that's exactly what I did (took the hose off). Light shined through, looked good overall - was expecting some buildup of some kind, but nothing really.

The odd thing was, the one time I did get it to light all the way through, it was only for a moment, then the ball of fire happened - if I had been inside preparing the meat it could have ended really bad, (which I would have been if I didn't come back out to make sure it was still working).

But yeah, now that I think about it there's really no way to get a brush in there unfortunately.

Once I have the assembly out I'll bring it over to my air compressor just to verify it's as clean as I thought it was. Customer service thought blowing through a straw would suffice, so I can't imagine it's the tube causing the issue - but I've almost been wrong before.  :P

Edit:
I just got off the phone with Weber, they were concerned about the ball of fire I mentioned and are sending a new regulator/hose assembly and also a burner tube just to be sure.
Overall, great service from Weber.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:24:19 AM by Thunder71 »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »
Yeah, that's exactly what I did (took the hose off). Light shined through, looked good overall - was expecting some buildup of some kind, but nothing really.

The odd thing was, the one time I did get it to light all the way through, it was only for a moment, then the ball of fire happened - if I had been inside preparing the meat it could have ended really bad, (which I would have been if I didn't come back out to make sure it was still working).

But yeah, now that I think about it there's really no way to get a brush in there unfortunately.

Once I have the assembly out I'll bring it over to my air compressor just to verify it's as clean as I thought it was. Customer service thought blowing through a straw would suffice, so I can't imagine it's the tube causing the issue - but I've almost been wrong before.  :P

Edit:
I just got off the phone with Weber, they were concerned about the ball of fire I mentioned and are sending a new regulator/hose assembly and also a burner tube just to be sure.
Overall, great service from Weber.

Great! Keep us updated.

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 07:36:23 AM »
Will do, I appreciate the help here - really a great forum!

I may have jumped the gun calling Weber again and maybe been able to fix this issue, but fire makes me nervous for some reason - and if it is the regulator then there's not much I could have done anyway.

I do however wish I knew what caused this in the first place so I could avoid it in the future.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
It's always a good idea to call Weber, especially when the grill is so new.  And *especially* when you've got really hot fire in the wrong place.  Good move, and I'm glad you're getting some resolution. 

This solution will also help you to diagnose the problem for future reference and safety.  Hope you're cooking worry-free very soon, Thunder.
One of the charcoal people.